Rain, remembering and revelations
First of all apologies for the lack of updates over the past week. I haven't been at work since the 9th and because I don't have a computer at home (yet) I haven't had the opportunity to post anything. Thankyou though to Philip and Lian for posting comments - good to know that people are actually reading my musings.
Secondly I have to make an announcement. My friends Sophie & Carmine (who I stayed with last year while I was in Oxford) had a baby girl on the 6th. Her name is Grace and apparently is a bit of a drama queen already (not my words!). I actually can't quite believe that Sophie & Carmine are parents - won't sink in until I actually see them.
Talking of babies I caught up with my friend Anina on Sunday - we stuffed ourselves full of yummy Indian food from the Maya. Her baby is due in December and she's now starting to show. Seems that this is the year for babies. Don't worry though I'm not planning on having any babies of my own. Have enough trouble looking after myself! Still I'm sure my babysitting services will be in demand once Anina has had her baby - she's already told me that I'm on her list should she need a babysitter.
It's 5pm and it looks like I'm one of the few people left in the office. I'm teaching on the late schedule, so my class doesn't finish until 4.30 and anyway I'm off the to the Art Gallery of NSW to see Chen Kai Ge's 'Farewell My Concubine', which is on this evening. The Art Gallery shows a free film every week and because there's an exhibition of Chinese ceremonial silk clothing on at the moment the films have a Chinese theme. Am looking forward to seeing Wong Kar Wai's 'In the Mood for Love' in a few weeks. Am not looking forward to my walk across to the Art Gallery though as it's pissing it down with rain outside. The first real rain here in Sydney for quite some time. Had a quick look at the Bureau of Metereology's website and apparently more than 60mm of rain fell overnight.
I actually got to experience the rain first-hand as last week I decided to make the most of my time off work and organised to do the 26km coastal walk through Royal National Park, which for those of you who don't know NSW is 60km south of Sydney. I was going to take my tent and camp somewhere, but then I remembered that there's a YHA hostel half way - why camp when you can have the luxury of a nice warm bed. Set off Monday morning and even though it was raining when I left inner-city Erskineville by the time I got down to Otford, where the walk starts, the sun was out. Was the only person staying at the hostel. Was a bit strange being in the middle of the bush by myself with just the sound of the waves breaking for company, but I had a book ('The Book-Seller of Kabul', which I borrowed from the library) and it was good to have my own space. When I woke up Tuesday morning it was raining, so I decided to wait and see if the rain would break. Not a chance. The only day in months that it's rained in Sydney and it has to be the day I'm out in the middle of the bush - typical! So at 10 I got all my gear together and set off in the rain. I had an umbrella with me, which gave me some protection, but most of me was soaked. Fortunately the gods were smiling and after 2 hours the rain stopped and for the second half of the walk I had bright sunshine, which dried me out somewhat. It's a beautiful walk and I'd love to do it again - just not in the rain.
Well - suppose I should get my arse over to the Art Gallery. Also need to thing about something to eat. Will try to be more consistent with my posts - at least once a week if not more often.

<< Home