Lychee & …
Have just been for an evening walk and on the way decided that this evening is perfect gelato weather. So many flavours to choose from… In the end I went for lychee and toblerone – granted a somewhat odd combination, but they actually went quite well together. The sticky date pudding was tempting…
Now I’m back at home watching the beautiful sunset from my room. I might not have harbour views, but I like the view of the terrace houses on the opposite side of the street and the frangipani tree outside our house. Looks like there might be a storm soon. Yesterday there was an amazing storm. I caught the ferry from the city to Balmain with Judith as I had to return a book to the Glebe library and it’s kind of on Judith’s way home from the Balmain East ferry wharf (plus it gave us the chance for a chat). As the ferry left Circular Quay the sky started to turn black and just as we got into the car the rain started. It was torrential and within minutes the streets were like rivers. According to this morning’s Sydney Morning Herald the M5 tunnel near the airport flooded and there’s a great picture of cars stranded in the water. Luckily the rain had basically stopped by the time Judith and I got to Leichhardt and I actually managed to get to the library and home without getting wet. I love Sydney storms – especially after a hot day.
I actually meant to post something on Monday, but yesterday and today have been full on at work and I haven’t had much time to sit in front of the computer. Have basically been sitting reading students’ drafts and watching their seminars. In the course I’m teaching at the moment the students have to give a 20 minute presentation and of course I have to mark them on it. Luckily the three I’ve seen so far have been great (one guy didn’t show up today – very naughty!) and hopefully the rest will be good.
Someone is home – and by the way the front gate was slammed I’m guessing it’s Lisa. I don’t know why, but she always manages to slam the gate and the front door. I was wrong it was Gayle – those two girls…
Had a very lazy weekend and seem to be having a very lazy week. Was supposed to be going to see ‘Motorcycle Diaries’ – the new film about Che Guevara, but I was cancelled on and am now going to see it later on in the week. Spent a lot of the weekend reading – ‘On Love’ by Alain de Botton – apart from a foray to the Art Gallery of NSW to see an exhibition on byobu – Japanese screens. Because of the weather it’s quite easy to avoid the whole Christmas craziness here and luckily my friends aren’t into having lots of Christmas parties. I do have to find presents for my Mum and Dad though as I’m going to be with them in Perth for Christmas this year. Am not sure what to get them though…
No sign of any rain. Might do some more reading.
Now I’m back at home watching the beautiful sunset from my room. I might not have harbour views, but I like the view of the terrace houses on the opposite side of the street and the frangipani tree outside our house. Looks like there might be a storm soon. Yesterday there was an amazing storm. I caught the ferry from the city to Balmain with Judith as I had to return a book to the Glebe library and it’s kind of on Judith’s way home from the Balmain East ferry wharf (plus it gave us the chance for a chat). As the ferry left Circular Quay the sky started to turn black and just as we got into the car the rain started. It was torrential and within minutes the streets were like rivers. According to this morning’s Sydney Morning Herald the M5 tunnel near the airport flooded and there’s a great picture of cars stranded in the water. Luckily the rain had basically stopped by the time Judith and I got to Leichhardt and I actually managed to get to the library and home without getting wet. I love Sydney storms – especially after a hot day.
I actually meant to post something on Monday, but yesterday and today have been full on at work and I haven’t had much time to sit in front of the computer. Have basically been sitting reading students’ drafts and watching their seminars. In the course I’m teaching at the moment the students have to give a 20 minute presentation and of course I have to mark them on it. Luckily the three I’ve seen so far have been great (one guy didn’t show up today – very naughty!) and hopefully the rest will be good.
Someone is home – and by the way the front gate was slammed I’m guessing it’s Lisa. I don’t know why, but she always manages to slam the gate and the front door. I was wrong it was Gayle – those two girls…
Had a very lazy weekend and seem to be having a very lazy week. Was supposed to be going to see ‘Motorcycle Diaries’ – the new film about Che Guevara, but I was cancelled on and am now going to see it later on in the week. Spent a lot of the weekend reading – ‘On Love’ by Alain de Botton – apart from a foray to the Art Gallery of NSW to see an exhibition on byobu – Japanese screens. Because of the weather it’s quite easy to avoid the whole Christmas craziness here and luckily my friends aren’t into having lots of Christmas parties. I do have to find presents for my Mum and Dad though as I’m going to be with them in Perth for Christmas this year. Am not sure what to get them though…
No sign of any rain. Might do some more reading.

<< Home