Thursday, November 11, 2004

Eye of the Storm

Right now I feel like I’m in the eye of the storm. All of this stuff is going on around me, yet I feel so calm. This afternoon at work we had a meeting with management to discuss what’s being happening at the school. I knew it was going to be more of the same, but wasn’t really expecting management to be so blatant about the reasons why they’ve been getting rid of qualified teachers. Basically they want to get rid of as many experienced teachers as they can because they cost too much and replace them with inexperienced teachers, who cost less. It’s so short-sighted as our school has a good reputation because of the quality of its teaching staff. Makes me realise that management operate in a completely different world and it’s a world that I don’t want be a part of. Hopefully I’ll keep my job because I don’t really feel like looking for another job at this point, but at the same time it makes going to work difficult knowing that in the end we’re all expendable and that management doesn’t give a shit about us.

Am listening to the soundtrack to ‘Somersault’ again. I’ve been playing it in class as it’s the kind of music that is perfect for class. Am listening to it so much that I often suddenly find myself humming one of the tracks. Got home this afternoon after and spent the whole afternoon and evening reading ‘After Dark’. Haruki Murakami’s works always make me feel a little distant. Maybe something to do with the characters always seeming somewhat out of place.

Went and saw a wonderful film last night with Moreno – ‘In My Father’s Den’ by some director from New Zealand, whose name I can’t remember – left the flyer I picked up at work. Very impressive for a first film and fantastic cinematography. Moreno had real problems with the New Zealand accent – he did pretty well though. Definitely worth seeing.

Suppose I should go to bed. Find that I’m having lots of late nights at the moment – late nights doing very little!