Thursday, November 25, 2004

Capital Capers

PART 1 – Saturday

On my way to the Heart of the Nation again to visit Kirsten, Jon and Sofie (and of course my old friend Johnnie Howard!). It’s been quite some time since I’ve been to Canberra. I usually try to visit Kirsten and Jon every few months, but of course I was away on holiday and before that Kirsten and Jon were up in Sydney twice. Apparently Canberra is finally looking much greener after all the rain. Last time I was there it was still very brown. I’m currently on the train – somewhere in the Southern Highlands. The bus is quicker, but I prefer the train as there’s more space and the scenery is more interesting.

The past few days in Sydney have been very warm, although after yesterday evening’s storm it was much cooler this morning. It was 37 on Thursday and very warm Thursday night, so warm that I had to leave the doors to my balcony open the whole night. I love the warm, languid nights, but it can be difficult to sleep. Yesterday wasn’t quite as warm, but summer is definitely on its way.

Yesterday was the school I work for’s big yearly get together. What a waste of time. I went to the morning sessions, but by lunch time I’d had enough, so I signed in to make sure I get paid then left. When I started working for this school just over a year ago I thought it was different from most of the other English language schools, but they’re all the same. Student numbers are down and have been down for the past few months and to cut costs management has decided that it would rather have inexperienced teachers that they can pay less than experienced teachers who know how to teach the courses the school offers. It makes no sense and makes even less sense when in the afternoon (I found this out from my friend Judith who bravely stayed until end) it was announced that the company is going to have a new logo! I can’t believe management has the gall to tell us after all that’s happened in the past few months that they’re spending millions on changing the logo. I love teaching, but have had enough of the industry and how little respect it has for the people who actually deliver the service that they’re offering. Might be time to look for another job. Judith told me that she couldn’t stop laughing at the absurdity of the whole situation when they announced the new logo. Am glad I decided to leave, although it might have been quite fun – in a perverse way – to have been sitting with Judith trying to suppress the giggles.


PART 2 – Tuesday

Have just officially left the ACT (the Australian Capital Territory for the non-Australian among the readers of my humble musings) and am on my way back to Sydney. I feel like such a professional type sitting here on the bus with my notebook working on what hopefully looks like an important project. It’s a 3-hour journey on the bus from Canberra to Sydney, so insha’allah I’ll be at home and in bed by 10 this evening. Have had a very relaxing four days with Kirsten, Jon and the lovely Ms.Sofie. Sofie is now a very vocal, into-everything 10 month old. Yesterday Kirsten took her to the local pool for her weekly swimming experience (can’t exactly call them lessons), so I became the official photographer. She loved being in the water and I got some really great shots. Kirsten is now back at work 2 days a week and Jon’s work was happen for him to work part-time, so I spent yesterday with Kirsten and today with Jon. I don’t know how people manage to raise a child and work full-time. Sofie is a pretty easy-going baby, but looking after a baby is very tiring. I have lots of respect for parents.

Apart from a BBQ on Sunday with some of Kirsten and Jon’s friends we did very little as such. I did most of the cooking which I think Kirsten and Jon very much appreciated as it gave them one less thing to worry about. I love cooking and especially love cooking for other people. For lunch today I made some very delicious alu gobi (potato and cauliflower curry) to go with the left over tofu and pea curry from last night.

Back to work tomorrow morning. Have no idea what I’m doing, so hopefully it’s nothing that requires too much prep. It’ll be the weekend again in three days, so I’m not too stressed about being back at work. Am feeling very relaxed at the moment – although according to my horoscope in the Canberra Times this morning, which I read when Jon and I went for a walk to the local café, apparently someone important will be coming into my life soon, who will cause lots of changes in my life. Sounds good…


EPILOGUE – Wednesday

Managed to forget my USB drive this morning, so Canberra Capers continues – even though I’m back in Sydney! The only thing worth reporting – apart from feeling completely uninspired by work, which is nothing new – is that yesterday afternoon Bob, one of my housemates, woke up from his nap to find this strange woman in the house! He’d shut the screen door, but hadn’t locked it and this woman must have thought there was no-one at home and thought she’d try her luck. Luckily nothing was stolen, but we’ll definitely be keeping the screen door locked from now on.

I have some marking to do tonight. I usually try not to bring work home, but I didn’t really have much choice today. Better get to it.