Pesto
Part 1 – Sunday Morning
Have just spent the last hour ploughing through a bunch of research reports that I have to mark. They’re actually not too bad, but it still takes time to look at them and I want to try and get my marking done before tomorrow. From this week I’m back to 5 days, so I don’t want to be bogged down with marking as well as having to prepare for classes.
My friend Moreno is now staying with me. He was staying with friends in another part of Sydney, but they’ve just had a baby and he said he felt like he was in the way a little and asked if he could come and stay here for a week. Since we don’t have a spare room he’s sharing my bed. Last night he went out dancing, so he didn’t get home until 7 this morning, which actually works out quite well as we can take it in turns in using the bed! It’s great having Moreno around as he’s very funny and always good value. On Friday evening Moreno wanted to go to Luna Park (which only re-opened this year after being closed for ages) and he persuaded me to go with him. The rides are pricey, so we only went on a few, but the view from the ferris wheel is amazing and it was fun being out and about on a balmy spring evening.
Yesterday afternoon we took a ferry out to Watson’s Bay to watch the sunset. It was like the sky was on fire. I love Watson’s Bay and actually hadn’t been out there since I got back from Japan. Moreno went for a swim – wind was too cold for me.
This morning I’m going to Cath’s place for brunch, so as soon as I finish writing this I’m going to prepare some fatoush (Lebanese salad) to take with me. Hopefully Judith is going as well as she said she’d give me a lift if she was going. It’s another beautiful day – summer is definitely on its way. Funny though because I find in summer that I spend more time indoors. When it’s really hot the last thing I feel like doing is being out in the heat, which is why Moreno and I went out to Watson’s Bay quite late yesterday afternoon. Can’t understand how people can lie in the sun all day in the heat.
Part 2 – Monday Evening
Didn’t find the time at work today to post what I’d written yesterday, so I may as well do an update. Have just got back from work and am about to make some fresh pesto as I promised Moreno a few weeks ago that I’d make some pesto for him. I got this particular recipe from one of my ex-students, Alessia, so grazie Alessia. Moreno is still out and about – he sent me a text message earlier saying that he was in Manly.
It ended up being a real scorcher yesterday – 38 degrees – and the forecast for tomorrow is 42! It doesn’t usually get this hot in Sydney, but this year seems to be shaping up as a real hot one. Fortunately where I work is air-conditioned.
Cath lives in an old semi- in Randwick, so despite the heat yesterday we managed to stay relatively cool. Cath made a delicious chickpea and vegetable tangine (a Moroccan stew) and there was lots of other yummy food. Cath’s original intention was to co-ordinate everyone so she didn’t end up with everyone bringing fruit salad, but it was much better this way and it worked out really well. The fatoush was a real hit! It was good to catch up with people outside of work and we all had a good bitch about acl – the English school I work for.
Unfortunately the day ended on a little bit of a downer as Cath one of Cath’s cats – Ziggy – turned up with a broken leg and had to be taken to the vet. Cath was really distraught and I ended up going with her and looking after poor Ziggy. The vet said that it looks like he was hit by a car, but that he’ll be OK.
Well – suppose I’d better get this pesto made. Gayle is going to join me and Moreno, so it’s turning into a dinner party.
Have just spent the last hour ploughing through a bunch of research reports that I have to mark. They’re actually not too bad, but it still takes time to look at them and I want to try and get my marking done before tomorrow. From this week I’m back to 5 days, so I don’t want to be bogged down with marking as well as having to prepare for classes.
My friend Moreno is now staying with me. He was staying with friends in another part of Sydney, but they’ve just had a baby and he said he felt like he was in the way a little and asked if he could come and stay here for a week. Since we don’t have a spare room he’s sharing my bed. Last night he went out dancing, so he didn’t get home until 7 this morning, which actually works out quite well as we can take it in turns in using the bed! It’s great having Moreno around as he’s very funny and always good value. On Friday evening Moreno wanted to go to Luna Park (which only re-opened this year after being closed for ages) and he persuaded me to go with him. The rides are pricey, so we only went on a few, but the view from the ferris wheel is amazing and it was fun being out and about on a balmy spring evening.
Yesterday afternoon we took a ferry out to Watson’s Bay to watch the sunset. It was like the sky was on fire. I love Watson’s Bay and actually hadn’t been out there since I got back from Japan. Moreno went for a swim – wind was too cold for me.
This morning I’m going to Cath’s place for brunch, so as soon as I finish writing this I’m going to prepare some fatoush (Lebanese salad) to take with me. Hopefully Judith is going as well as she said she’d give me a lift if she was going. It’s another beautiful day – summer is definitely on its way. Funny though because I find in summer that I spend more time indoors. When it’s really hot the last thing I feel like doing is being out in the heat, which is why Moreno and I went out to Watson’s Bay quite late yesterday afternoon. Can’t understand how people can lie in the sun all day in the heat.
Part 2 – Monday Evening
Didn’t find the time at work today to post what I’d written yesterday, so I may as well do an update. Have just got back from work and am about to make some fresh pesto as I promised Moreno a few weeks ago that I’d make some pesto for him. I got this particular recipe from one of my ex-students, Alessia, so grazie Alessia. Moreno is still out and about – he sent me a text message earlier saying that he was in Manly.
It ended up being a real scorcher yesterday – 38 degrees – and the forecast for tomorrow is 42! It doesn’t usually get this hot in Sydney, but this year seems to be shaping up as a real hot one. Fortunately where I work is air-conditioned.
Cath lives in an old semi- in Randwick, so despite the heat yesterday we managed to stay relatively cool. Cath made a delicious chickpea and vegetable tangine (a Moroccan stew) and there was lots of other yummy food. Cath’s original intention was to co-ordinate everyone so she didn’t end up with everyone bringing fruit salad, but it was much better this way and it worked out really well. The fatoush was a real hit! It was good to catch up with people outside of work and we all had a good bitch about acl – the English school I work for.
Unfortunately the day ended on a little bit of a downer as Cath one of Cath’s cats – Ziggy – turned up with a broken leg and had to be taken to the vet. Cath was really distraught and I ended up going with her and looking after poor Ziggy. The vet said that it looks like he was hit by a car, but that he’ll be OK.
Well – suppose I’d better get this pesto made. Gayle is going to join me and Moreno, so it’s turning into a dinner party.

<< Home