Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Sri Lanka Returned

Yes - back at home in front of my computer. Am currently downloading all my photographs and trying to sort through all my mail before I head into work to speak to my (acting) boss about what work I have next week.

It's very strange to be back here in my house and when I woke up this morning I had no idea where I was - which is very strange considering that I've just spend the pass month in a number of different places. As they say in the States - go figure! It's just strange to be suddenly back home. Saying that I was very happy this morning to be able to just throw all my clothes in the washing machine and not have to hand wash everything - so there are defnitely some good things about being home.

Have just finished looking at all my photos and am now feeling a little sad - so many wonderful memories. I know that it's silly to be sad, but I really had a great time in Sri Lanka and as I was saying earlier am feeling a little strange being back in Sydney. Once I've finished writing this I'm going to head into work to find out what my schedule is for next week. Am really looking forward to seeing Judith and Aida.

My last few days in Sri Lanka were quite an experience. Had a very long journey on Saturday from Galle in southern Sri Lanka to Pansagodella in northern Sri Lanka where my friend Dhanushka lives and actually during the journey I was really wondering if I was completely mad for making such a long journey. I shouldn't have worried though because I had a wonderful time with Dhanushka and his family and being with them made my last few days in Sri Lanka very special. From Galle I had to first catch a train to Colombo. There was a train at 6.45am, so I woke up at 5.30 and was at the station just after 6. The train pulls in completely full and not feeling like standing for 2 1/2 hours all the way to Colombo I ended up waiting for the next train at 7.40, which started in Galle. There was a mad rush for seats - in typical Sri Lankan style - when the train pulled in, but after the mayhem died down there were plently of seats for everyone (in 2nd class at least - don't know about 3rd class). The journey to Colombo was beautiful as the railway runs right along the coast and at times the train was right next to the beach and ocean. Again saw a lot of damage from the tsunami and in some areas all that was left of houses and other buildings were the concrete pads. From Colombo I then had to negotiate the confusion and madness that is a Sri Lankan bus station in order to get a bus to Polonnaruwa where Dhanushka was going to meet me. I can't really speak Sinhalese but I can now recognise some of the letters and with a little bit of help managed to find a bus without too many problems. The bus journey was long, but generally ok. I'm not sure if the driver realised that in Sri Lanka traffic travels on the left side of the road as a lot of the time the bus seemed to be in the centre or on the right side of the road - with horn blaring of course! Dhanushka kept calling me on my mobile (am glad I got a SIM over there) to find out where I was. It's actually amazing to be able to communicate so easily - especially when I think about when I was in India. Anyone who can afford one has a mobile in Sri Lanka - and probably even people who can't afford one.

Dhanushka was at the bus station waiting for me and after a quick drink and some roti to reviv me after the long journey we got another bus to go to his village. It took about an hour along a very pot-holed road to get to his village but as it was late afternoon it was quite a beautiful journey with the sun setting over the paddy-fields. I was very tired, but managed to stay awake to have dinner with his family.

On Sunday I met Dhanushka's Grandmother, who is lovely, and other members of his extended family and then we went to see the ruins of Mandalagiri Vihara, which are close by. I'd wanted to visit Mandalagiri when I was first in Polonnaruwa, but didn't have time as it was difficult to get to by public transport. There were very few people there and it was quite atmospheric. Despite it being so close to his village Dhanushka had never been there before, so we were both tourists. After lunch and a siesta I spent the rest of the afternoon vsiting various people. The whole village knew I was there and everyone wanted to meet me. People were so lovely though and Dhanushka did a great job of interpreting for me. Every house I went to I had to have something to eat and drink and even when I couldn't eat or drink anymore I had to take something. The kindness and hospitality of people in Sri Lanka is something I'll always remember. In the evening we went to the local temple after taking refuge and the five Buddhist precepts the head monk blessed me and tied white string around my right wrist, which I still have one. Some of the monks in Sri Lanka I found to be a bit dubious and don't really deserve the respect that people give them, but the monk at this temple had a wonderful air about him and I feel very lucky to have met him and received his blessing.

Monday was a very sad day and Dhanushka and his family were very sad that I had to leave. I would have loved to have stayed longer, but I couldn't change my ticket and in a way it was time to leave. His Grandmother told me that I had to come back for Vesak (in May), which commemorates the birth, enlightenment and death of the Buddha, and I said I'd try. I would love to visit Sri Lanka again, but at this point I don't know when that will be. After my last Sri Lanka meal - beautifully prepared (including my favourite, pol sambol) by Dhanushka's mother Dhanushka and I caught the bus back to Polonnaruwa from where I got a bus back to Colombo. It was very sad saying goodbye to him and I really appreciate his and his family's kindness.

The journey back to Colombo was fine. Arrived in Colombo just before 9pm and managed to get a bus out to the airport without too many problems - and just before it started raining. Unfortunately the buses are not allowed to go right up to the airport terminal and I had to walk the last 500m, so I was very hot, sweaty and irritated by the time I got to the check-in counter. I was hoping to donate the money I had left to a charity to help people who were affected by the tsunami, but there was nothing, so I ended up changing it into US dollars, which is a shame. My flight was at 0135, so I was very sleepy and although I managed to get about an hour of sleep on the flight to Singapore because it was such a short flight that was about all I could get.

Arrived home just after 6.30 yesterday evening and after a quick chat to my housemates and my Mum and Dad, who are heading to Canada and Alaska on Friday, it was definitely time for bed. Flying always takes it out of me. It's taken me about an hour to compose this and it's probably time I headed into the city. Will update again soon.

ps - it's wondeful to have broadband internet again