Sunday, July 31, 2005

Packing

Off to Sri Lanka this afternoon, so at the moment I'm in the process of packing. I actually don't need a lot of stuff as it's fairly hot over there (although I have packed a few warmer things for when I head up into the hills) and I'm now trying to decide if there's anything superfluous that I can ditch.

Strangely I'm feeling a little nervous - possibly because this the first real travelling I've done since I went to Thailand and Nepal in 2001. I know there's nothing to be nervous about and I'm sure I'll be fine once I'm on the plane. I've booked somewhere to stay for the first few nights as I don't get to Sri Lanka until just after midnight tonight. The airport is quite far from Colombo (the capital) so I've booked a guesthouse in Negombo, which is on the coast and only 10km from the airport. The guesthouse has even organised for a driver to pick me up, so I don't even have to worry about getting a taxi. I don't know what Sri Lanka is like, but in India I would never take a taxi that late at night. Too much scope for trouble.

I'll try and update my blog as often as I can while I'm away, so please keep reading. Back to the packing.