Monday, August 01, 2005

Arrival in Sri Lanka

First of all I have to apologise in advance for not replying to my e-mails. The Internet is very slow here and I don't want to spend lots of time sitting in front of a computer, so please keep reading my blog for all my latest news.
By the time I got to the guesthouse I'm staying at here in Negombo it was 2am. Although it wasn't a long or particularly arduous flight from Sydney I was exhausted and I have to say that I'm feeling a bit out of it today, which is probably due to lack of sleep. The guesthouse is fine - right on the beach so I can hear the waves crashing on the beach from my room - but Negombo itself is nothing speacial. Went for a bit of a wander this morning, but it was hot and I got tired very quickly. I'm trying to decide if I should move on tomorrow or rest another day before beginning my journey.
Sri Lanka is a bit like a cross between India and Thailand. There's not the complete anarchy of India, although the centre of Negombo was pretty mad. Negombo is actually one of the most Christian areas of the island and there are lots of churches around - reminds me a lot of south India.
For those Bollywood afficianados out there I listened to an amazing soundtrack on the plane yesterday - 'Kishna'. Don't know what the film is like, but the music is fantastic - sitting in the plane 11,000m above Australia listening to Hindi music was quite a surreal experience.
OK - hopefully I'll have a little bit more to say next time I write. Until then...