Friday, September 02, 2005

Airport Adventures

Have just got back from the airport! No, I haven't been away again - went to say hello to my Mum and Dad as they were on their way to Canada and the US and had to transfer from a domestic flight at Sydney. I only got to see them for 10 minutes, but it's better than nothing. I actually told them when I spoke to them the other day that I wouldn't go out to the airport as they only had an hour between flights and had to transfer to the international terminal, but this morning I decided to go and surprise them. As well as my surprise appearance they also had a surprise when their flight from Perth aborted its landing. I saw an aeroplane flying across the airport and thought it was kind of strange, but had no idea that that was the flight that my parents were on. They weren't given any explanation as to why the landing was aborted, but my guess is there a was an aircraft still on the runway.

Apart from making trips out to the airport I've just been catching up with friends and sorting out things at home. I promised Dhanushka's family and relatives that I'd send them copies of the photos I took, so I got some photos printed yesterday. Also sent some to my Grandma as she always likes to get photos from me. I need to find out how to put photos on my blog. Will look into it.

Yesterday afternoon I went to visit Anina, Mario and Mia, which was lovely. They're all doing very well and Mia is still as voracious an eater as I remember. I don't think I've ever seen a baby eat so much! She's only 8 months old, but eats as much as a baby twice her age. Before Mario got home from work Anina and I took Mia down to Bondi beach for a walk (and to pick up new tubes for Mia's pram as Anina nearly managed to cause an incident in Bondi Junction Westfield by overinflating one of the tyres!). The light was perfect and I wish I'd had my camera, but man it was cold. Earlier in the day it was quite warm and it's relatively warm today, but yesterday afternoon the wind was bitter.

I had dinner with Anina and Mario and on my way home dropped in to see the Preece clan, who are all in Sydney for Jacob and Kate's wedding tomorrow. Kirsten and Jon have rented a house for the week, not far from where I live, and there's about 11 of them staying there.

Have no idea what's happening with work as my (acting) boss was being extremely reticent about what I'd be teaching. He wants me to teach the Cambridge exam preparation class again, but wouldn't commit to the other two days and the Cambridge class doesn't start until the week after next. I want full-time work and I've been at the school long enough that I feel I should have some kind of priority. Anyway - there's a big intake of new students on Monday, so hopefully there'll be work for me. If not I'll have to re-evaluate and may have to look for work at another school, which I don't really want to do. I don't mind working part-time, but then I can't save very much.

Am thinking about going to see a film tonight as there's quite a few interesting films on up at the Dendy in Newtown. Will have to have a look at the session times. Have to pay a visit to Gelatomassi as well...