Friday, May 01, 2009

Friday Film

Have just finished watching a beautiful film called the Visitor by Thomas McCarthy, who also directed the Station Agent, which I loved. Watching a good film is a great way to spend a Friday evening.

Work has been keeping me fairly busy, which is why I haven't written anything since last Tuesday. I haven't really been up to much, although on Monday afternoon Maggie and I did go out to visit a friend of ours who has been looking after a boutique hotel on the outskirts of Kandy called The Kandy House. The hotel is a 200-year old walauwa (ancestoral house) built around a central courtyard and full of beautiful antique furniture - absolutely stunning. There were a couple of guests, but they were out for the afternoon and most of the evening, so we basically had the place to ourselves.

http://www.thekandyhouse.com/

On Tuesday the intention was to spend a relaxing morning by the pool, but unfortunately I had car problems. It was OK first thing, but when I stopped at the shop to pick up a few things I discovered that it wouldn't start. Luckily some guys at the shop helped me to push start it, but I had to take it to get fixed, which meant I ended up having no car for most of the day. I don't know what I'd do without my car here in Kandy, but when something goes wrong... Luckily I know a reliable place to take my car now, so it was repaired the same day and didn't end up costing me too much.

I don't know when I'm going to have a full weekend. On Monday I was examining and this coming Tuesday there are classes as the centre is closed next Friday and Saturday for Vesak Poya. It's a shame really that we have to teach next Sunday as we could have had 5-days off, which would have been nice. What to do?