Saturday, April 18, 2009

Wild Horses

Wild Horses refers to the 1971 Rolling Stones' track. Jiří and I listened to this song a number of times as it was on a CD of the Rolling Stones live that Jiří had in his car. Brings back wonderful memories of driving through the stunning Czech countryside.

I can't quite believe that just a couple of days ago I was in the Czech Republic and am actually finding it a little difficult to re-adjust to being back in Sri Lanka. Of course this is home, but I had such a great holiday that being back here seems so mundane. Doesn't help that I had to go straight back to work yesterday (was it only yesterday?) I still wish I could have stayed on in Europe for another week...

Waiting for Maggie at the airport was tedious as Colombo airport has absolutely no facilities. Thankfully her flight arrived a little early, so in the end I didn't have to wait that long. Was definitely good to have someone to talk to on the drive back up to Kandy. As it's still the New Year season the roads were relatively quiet. The driving is still as manic and as unpredicatable as ever, but because there were less buses and trucks on the road the journey wasn't too bad and we made it back to Kandy in less than 2 1/2 hours.

It was difficult getting up yesterday morning to go to work, but I had 2 good classes, so it was fine. I feel like I need a couple of days off though to recover from the journey! Unfortunately I'm examining on Monday, so won't have a proper weekend until the following week. What to do? Only 9 weeks though until I'm on holiday again, so can't complain.

The photo is a rare one of me - chilling out on the sofa at Jiří's place.