Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The Birds


Tuesday afternoon in Kandy.
Life is fine, life is Dandy.

Am re-reading A Suitable Boy at the moment and was inspired to write a rhyming couplet - much loved by the Chatterjis. I've read A Suitable Boy a number of times before, but am still enthralled every time I read it. I love the characters.

The picture is courtesy of Philip, who sent it to me after I'd been telling him about being attacked by a crow one morning as I was out walking. I've been attacked by magpies in Australia a couple of times before, but never expected to be attacked here! Luckily I had my umbrella with me, so when the damned bird tried to go for me a second time I had something to defend myself with.

Philip also send me the link to the video that was produced to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the farm he works on, which employs people with physical and mental disabilities. Unfortunately it's only in French, but there's a shot of Philip riding on the cart...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVpfpLOwJlM

Have had a very lazy weekend. I did think about going somewhere for a couple of days, but partly because of the unpredictableness of the weather and partly because I felt like having a couple of days at home doing very little, I decided to stay in Kandy. It was warm and sunny this earlier, so I spent the morning at the pool swimming, doing some marking and reading. It's pouring outside now though and I have a feeling that it's going to be like this for the rest of the afternoon and evening.

Have just been speaking to my Mum and Dad as my Mum had her last session of chemotherapy yesterday. She seems to be doing well, although she always gets run down 3 or 4 days after the actual chemotherapy - thankfully she doesn't seem to have suffered too many side-effects from the treatment. She doesn't have to see the oncologist now until mid-January, which is good news.

I had an email from Jiří this morning letting me know that he'd booked his flights. He and Sakkib are both coming to visit me in January. I'm still going to Perth for Christmas and the New Year, but will be back on January 2, so will have a couple of weeks with Jiří and Sakkib. Am looking forward to seeing them both again.

I don't have any plans for the rest of the afternoon and evening, although am hoping to speak to my Grandma a little later. It seems that all of my Mum's family are now on Skype...