Thursday, August 19, 2004

Whales

Yes - Sydney harbour had two honoured guests yesterday - two southern right whales (pity that they're called that because they were considered to be the 'right' whales to hunt) who decided to have a tour of the sights as they headed up (or is it down?) the coast. I didn't actually see them, but a friend of mine at work saw them from the ferry on her way to work. I wish I could commute by ferry. CityRail (or ShittyRail as it's commonly called!) just doesn't do it for me. I mean the view in a tunnel just doesn't compare to the view of Sydney harbour on a beautiful winter morning, does it? Anyway for anyone who would like to see pics of the two visitors check out -
Well - I have to say that, sad to say, I'm being outdone by Lian at the moment. After that whole Canada period where many of us wondered if the pig farmer had got her and a period of silence when we all wondered where the hell she was, she's now posting every day. Unfortunately I'm not sure I'll be able to beat that as I'm only working 3 days a week at the moment - will try and post as often as I can.
Last night when I finally (another ShittyRail story!) got home I managed to get through to my friend Sophie - the first time I've spoken to her since little Grace decided to join us all. She's doing very well - although she did say that she still can't quite believe that she and Carmine are parents. Now I really want to go to the UK so see them and everyone else I know who lives in that part of the world. It's a real bitch that Syndey is so far away from Europe. Still - I might see how much tickets cost...
So last night I went to see 'Farewell My Concubine' at the Art Gallery. I'd seen it before, but it's such a good film (and Gong Li is such a diva) that I decided to see it again on the big screen. Next week is Zhang Yi Mou's 'Ju Dou'. There are lots of films coming up in the next few weeks. Good thing I'm a member of two cinemas - cheap tickets and lots of freebies. Took me ages to get home though - my ShittyRail story - as the trains were running to some weird schedule. I should have taken the bus, but I had a return ticket (no pass this week as I'm off to the Heart of the Nation - Canberra! - for 4 days on Saturday to visit my friends Kirsten and Jon and their 6-month old daughter, Sofie).
Suppose I should actually do some work. Haven't looked at anything yet. Am very over the whole work thing at the moment. Be great if I was independently wealthy and didn't have to work... Dream on, Ian!!!