Saturday, October 30, 2004

Final Day

My final day here in Japan. Am feeling quite sad about leaving and particularly about having to say goodbye to all my friends here. If only Sydney was closer to Japan...
For my last day Takako and I are going to Kyoto again - well that's the plan at least. Unfortunately the weather is not looking so good, so we may have to come up with plan B. My flight isn't until 9.30 this evening, so we have all day to spend in Kyoto - we were thinking about going to Tofuku-ji Temple and Fushimi-Inari Shrine. We'll see.
Spent the last 3 days with my friends at the temple. On Thursday Mihoko suggested that we go to Soni-Kogen - in Nara - with the kids, so yesterday Mihoko, myself, my Aunt (who of course is not really related, but in Japanese I call her obasan, which means aunt) and the two kids all bundled into Mihoko's car and drove out to Nara. Soni-kogen is on the border of Nara and Mie prefectures and is famous in autumn for it's susuki (which I've just found out is Japanese pampas grass in English). It was really beautiful there and it reminded me of how beautiful Japan is once you escape the cities (which are generally decidedly ugly). Mihoko borrowed a baby carrier from her in-laws and I carried 8-month old Kodai around on my back. I'm sure everyone thought Mihoko was my wife and were probably wondering why Kodai looked so Japanese - which we had a good laugh about. I'm really going to miss my friends at the temple. I owe them so much.
On Thursday evening I went with my Aunt to visit her sister and her family. Last year my Aunt's sister - Aiko - and her grandaughter - Asumi - came over with my Aunt and Uncle to the UK for our friend Sophie's wedding. As the only person who can speak Japanese well I was desingated the task of looking after them all. We had a great time and I really wanted to see Aiko and her family again. I've been very lucky to have met such amazing people. I really feel like I'm coming home when I come back to Osaka.
Last night I caught up with Kaori and finally got to meet her son (who's 4) Keigo. I never thought I would be that great with kids, but all my friend's kids have taken an instant liking to me. Maybe it's because I'm still a little bit of a child at heart (no nasty comment here!). Keigo is a train freak and loves 'Thomas the Tank Engine', which I loved as a kid, so of course when I got to their house last night I had to watch 'Thomas' with him.
I wish I didn't have to leave already. I feel like I've only just got here and already it's time to leave. I don't like goodbyes...