Last Sydney Weekend
Part 1 – Sunday Morning
My last weekend in Sydney for 2004. Not really that important a fact in the scheme of things, but I thought I’d point that out as next weekend I’ll be in Perth. It’s going to be a hot one today and already at 10.30 it’s pretty hot. Have had a very lazy morning so far. Did consider getting up early and going to the beach, but in the end I decided that I’d rather relax at home. If the beach was just around the corner I’d probably have gone, but Erskineville and Newtown are not exactly known for their beaches.
Am sitting at my new desk, which I found one afternoon earlier this week on my way to the shops. It’s nothing flash, but it’s in good condition and has lots of drawers to hide all my crap in. Since I bought my notebook I’ve been thinking about getting a desk, but of course being very lazy I never got round to actually looking for one. I actually like the idea of recycling furniture anyway. I was actually looking at some essays that I have to hand back to my class in the next few days, but have given up. Am not in the mood to look at them.
Can highly recommend the first five minutes of ‘Motorcycle Diaries’. Can’t say anything about the rest of the film though as five minutes into the film on Friday evening the fire alarms went off and we were all evacuated from the cinema. All very exciting. It turned out to be a faulty alarm, but all the remaining sessions were cancelled. Hopefully I’ll get to see the whole film before I go to Perth. My friend who I went with thinks I’m jinxed, but I did point out that I’m not exactly evacuated from cinemas on a regular basis! Am possibly going to try and see ‘Motorcycle Diaries’ again this evening, but it depends on what Seamus is up to. If he’s busy I might go and see something else – ‘I ♥ Huckabees’ has had rave reviews.
Last night I had dinner with Judith. She was going to see a play, but asked me to join her for dinner at the Maya – an Indian restaurant in Surry Hills which does amazing dosas – as she reckons that whenever she goes there without me she gets terrible service. The service is very Indian i.e. completely random, but I can’t work out quite why Judith always has so many problems. Of course because I was there everything was fine last night and we feasted on dosas and thalis. We also discovered that a new Bollywood film called ‘Swadesh’ – directed by the same guy who made ‘Lagaan’ – is now on at Fox Studios, so we’ve organised a Bollywood evening for Tuesday. It’s all happening in my last week in Sydney for 2004!
Part 2 – Sunday Evening
Just back from the cinema – oh Dendy! Strange weather. It was 38 degrees today, yet now it’s blowing a gale and I felt really cold walking back from the cinema. Luckily the cinema is only a five minute walk from my house.
Went and saw ‘I ♥ Huckabees’ with Bob – one of my housemates. Very, very funny – there was one scene where Lily Tomlin and Dustin Hoffman’s characters were running across the lawn trying to dodge the sprinklers where I couldn’t stop laughing (haven’t laughed like that at the cinema for ages) – yet at the same time it was very insightful and asked lots of questions, which is quite rare in an American film. Excellent cast – apart from Lily Tomlin and Dustin Hoffman it also starred Isabelle Huppert as a rival existential detective, Jude Law as the Huckabees executive, Naomi Watts as his girlfriend and the ‘face of Huckabees’ and Mark Wahlberg as a fire-fighter looking for meaning in his life. It’s quite hard to describe the actual plot – an exploration of the meaning of life I suppose.
Apart from going to the cinema I stayed at home most of the day apart from a brief foray to the shops to get a few things for dinner. It was just too hot be out and about today. On a hot day the last thing I feel like doing is being out in the heat. Would much rather stay at home and stay cool.
Am sitting at my new desk, which I found one afternoon earlier this week on my way to the shops. It’s nothing flash, but it’s in good condition and has lots of drawers to hide all my crap in. Since I bought my notebook I’ve been thinking about getting a desk, but of course being very lazy I never got round to actually looking for one. I actually like the idea of recycling furniture anyway. I was actually looking at some essays that I have to hand back to my class in the next few days, but have given up. Am not in the mood to look at them.
Can highly recommend the first five minutes of ‘Motorcycle Diaries’. Can’t say anything about the rest of the film though as five minutes into the film on Friday evening the fire alarms went off and we were all evacuated from the cinema. All very exciting. It turned out to be a faulty alarm, but all the remaining sessions were cancelled. Hopefully I’ll get to see the whole film before I go to Perth. My friend who I went with thinks I’m jinxed, but I did point out that I’m not exactly evacuated from cinemas on a regular basis! Am possibly going to try and see ‘Motorcycle Diaries’ again this evening, but it depends on what Seamus is up to. If he’s busy I might go and see something else – ‘I ♥ Huckabees’ has had rave reviews.
Last night I had dinner with Judith. She was going to see a play, but asked me to join her for dinner at the Maya – an Indian restaurant in Surry Hills which does amazing dosas – as she reckons that whenever she goes there without me she gets terrible service. The service is very Indian i.e. completely random, but I can’t work out quite why Judith always has so many problems. Of course because I was there everything was fine last night and we feasted on dosas and thalis. We also discovered that a new Bollywood film called ‘Swadesh’ – directed by the same guy who made ‘Lagaan’ – is now on at Fox Studios, so we’ve organised a Bollywood evening for Tuesday. It’s all happening in my last week in Sydney for 2004!
Part 2 – Sunday Evening
Just back from the cinema – oh Dendy! Strange weather. It was 38 degrees today, yet now it’s blowing a gale and I felt really cold walking back from the cinema. Luckily the cinema is only a five minute walk from my house.
Went and saw ‘I ♥ Huckabees’ with Bob – one of my housemates. Very, very funny – there was one scene where Lily Tomlin and Dustin Hoffman’s characters were running across the lawn trying to dodge the sprinklers where I couldn’t stop laughing (haven’t laughed like that at the cinema for ages) – yet at the same time it was very insightful and asked lots of questions, which is quite rare in an American film. Excellent cast – apart from Lily Tomlin and Dustin Hoffman it also starred Isabelle Huppert as a rival existential detective, Jude Law as the Huckabees executive, Naomi Watts as his girlfriend and the ‘face of Huckabees’ and Mark Wahlberg as a fire-fighter looking for meaning in his life. It’s quite hard to describe the actual plot – an exploration of the meaning of life I suppose.
Apart from going to the cinema I stayed at home most of the day apart from a brief foray to the shops to get a few things for dinner. It was just too hot be out and about today. On a hot day the last thing I feel like doing is being out in the heat. Would much rather stay at home and stay cool.

<< Home