Saturday, April 16, 2005

Slack

Yes - I have been slack about posting recently. Have been feeling quite tired a lot of late and have also had a fairly busy social life. No excuse really though, is it?

It's Saturday morning and as always I'm up early. I wish I could sleep in, but as soon as it's light I'm awake and then I find it basically impossible to get back to sleep. My friend Moreno is still staying with me and he's still asleep, so I'm downstairs where I can work away on the computer without disturbing him.

Am back working full-time now, which is fine. Change of class next week though - back to teaching EAP (English for Academic Purposes for those non-TEFL people amongst my good readers!). In some ways I'm looking forward to it as I like the structure of the EAP courses, but at the same time I'm not looking forward to the marking and the stress of students wanting to get particular marks. Still it's work and I'm saving money again now, which is great.

Have just been looking at post-graduate courses at various Sydney universities. I have been thinking about doing something in the field that I'm currently working in, but then at the same time I want to do something different. Am very interested in community and social development and have just been reading about a course that is offered at the University of New South Wales. Last night I attended a lecture by Dr.Shirin Ebadi, the Iranian human rights activist who won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2003 and I'm feeling a bit inspired to do something that might make a difference. I like teaching, but it doesn't inspire me. Lots of decisions to be made.

Have been seeing lots of films - including 'Dangerous Liaisons' the other week at the Art Gallery of NSW. There are special screenings related to one of the current exhibitions every Wednesday evening at the Art Gallery and for the past few weeks all the films have been about France in the late 18th century. I'd forgotten just how funny 'Dangerous Liaisons' is. Tonight I'm probably going to see a Spanish film 'The Sea Inside' with my friend Morneno. Apparently we're going to have some Thai food for dinner, although I'm not sure how that'll go considering how fussy Moreno is.

Will try to be a little more diligent about posting - although not knowing how many people actually read this it's hard to know if it's worth posting anything.