Friday, March 25, 2005

Easter Break

Hard to believe that another week has gone by - and so quickly as well.

Have just finished watching 'Kill Bill: Volume 1', which I missed at the cinema for some reason. Now that I've seen it I regret not having seen it at the cinema - it would have been so amazing to see on the big screen. I loved the Japanese influences - particularly O-Ren Ishii's schoolgirl bodyguard. Very cool. Now I'll have to get Volume 2 out to see what happens.

Wednesday afternoon I finally got round to seeing 'Million Dollar Baby'. I was going to see it for $5 on Tuesday, but Sydney was hit by a huge storm on Tuesday and the last thing I felt like was being out in the pouring rain, with my umbrella inside-out from the gale-force winds. The weather has been so crazy here - basically it's gone from summer to winter with nothing in between. In Perth, on the other hand, it was 42 degrees the other day! 'Million Dollar Baby'. Was very impressed by it. It took a while to build up momentum, but I think that made the end all the more powerful - particularly considering what's going on at the moment in the US. Clint Eastwood (I hope I look that good when I'm 75!) and Hilary Swank were fantastic and the strong characters were what made the film. It amazes me how so many Hollywood films lack strong characters; as if special effects are enough. The saddest thing about the film for me is how it portrays the US - a country that despite being so powerful economically, politically and culturally fails to provide for its people. Parts of it were a little obvious, but it was an enjoyable cinema experience.

Apart from going to the cinema and watching DVDs the rest of my week was pretty much as usual. Work, come home from work, cook...the usual routine. Only a four day working week though because of the Easter break - very nice.