Babies
Seems like this week is going to be a baby week. Have just spent the last 4 days with Kirsten, Jon and getting-much-bigger Sofie in Canberra and this afternoon I’m off to visit Anina and Mia. Mia is so big that she’s already outgrown the clothes that she’s got, so since I was going down to Canberra I was asked to act as a courier and bring some of Sofie’s old clothes up for Mia.
My stay in Canberra was as per usual very laid back – lots of good food and lots of good company. Sofie is now walking, so she’s into everything. It’s amazing how quickly children learn. She’s also started speaking. I’m still actually quite surprised how good I am with children – especially given I have no desire to have children of my own. Jon’s brother Andrew and his partner Monique have just moved to Canberra and on Saturday Monique asked if I had children, seeing how good I was with Sofie.
Monday I finally got to attend Parliament while it was sitting. Every other time I’ve been in Canberra the Parliament wasn’t sitting, so when I realised that it would be this week I suggested to Kirsten that we go (unfortunately Kirsten didn’t end up coming with me as Sofie hadn’t slept well the night before). I went for question time, which is when Parliament is at it’s liveliest and when all the politicians are in the chamber. I’ve often seen question time on TV, so it was somewhat surreal seeing the politicians there in person. What amazed me is how rude they are – interjecting while someone is speaking, shouting accusation across the chamber – it’s quite childish really. There’s no way people would get away with that kind of behaviour in any other situation. I actually don’t like the system we have in Australia because – particularly in the House of Representatives – the debate is adversarial because of the dominance of the two main parties. Everything is us and them and I don’t think that’s the best way to run the country. The big parties have too much say in how the country is run basically. Still a very interesting experience.
I enjoy visiting Canberra, but I’m always happy to come back to Sydney. Canberra is very suburban – like most of Sydney I suppose – but I live in the inner city and I miss seeing people around. In Canberra – again like most of Sydney – people always seem to be in their cars. I suppose that’s one reason (the expense of keeping a car is the other) why I don’t have a car. I like using public transport (when it works) and like the sense of being with other people – even when it’d be much more convenient to have a car. I like the colourful, eclectic nature of inner city Sydney as well. Where I live the houses – particularly the old terraces are so colourful.
Suppose I’d better start thinking about lunch. I said I’d be at Anina’s between 3.30 and 4 this afternoon, so I need to make some lunch – have to have lunch for work tomorrow and Friday!
My stay in Canberra was as per usual very laid back – lots of good food and lots of good company. Sofie is now walking, so she’s into everything. It’s amazing how quickly children learn. She’s also started speaking. I’m still actually quite surprised how good I am with children – especially given I have no desire to have children of my own. Jon’s brother Andrew and his partner Monique have just moved to Canberra and on Saturday Monique asked if I had children, seeing how good I was with Sofie.
Monday I finally got to attend Parliament while it was sitting. Every other time I’ve been in Canberra the Parliament wasn’t sitting, so when I realised that it would be this week I suggested to Kirsten that we go (unfortunately Kirsten didn’t end up coming with me as Sofie hadn’t slept well the night before). I went for question time, which is when Parliament is at it’s liveliest and when all the politicians are in the chamber. I’ve often seen question time on TV, so it was somewhat surreal seeing the politicians there in person. What amazed me is how rude they are – interjecting while someone is speaking, shouting accusation across the chamber – it’s quite childish really. There’s no way people would get away with that kind of behaviour in any other situation. I actually don’t like the system we have in Australia because – particularly in the House of Representatives – the debate is adversarial because of the dominance of the two main parties. Everything is us and them and I don’t think that’s the best way to run the country. The big parties have too much say in how the country is run basically. Still a very interesting experience.
I enjoy visiting Canberra, but I’m always happy to come back to Sydney. Canberra is very suburban – like most of Sydney I suppose – but I live in the inner city and I miss seeing people around. In Canberra – again like most of Sydney – people always seem to be in their cars. I suppose that’s one reason (the expense of keeping a car is the other) why I don’t have a car. I like using public transport (when it works) and like the sense of being with other people – even when it’d be much more convenient to have a car. I like the colourful, eclectic nature of inner city Sydney as well. Where I live the houses – particularly the old terraces are so colourful.
Suppose I’d better start thinking about lunch. I said I’d be at Anina’s between 3.30 and 4 this afternoon, so I need to make some lunch – have to have lunch for work tomorrow and Friday!

<< Home