Siouxsie and the Banshees

Have been going through my (limited - as most of my CDs are in storage at my parents' place) music collection trying to see if I have any songs that I can use in class and came across some CDs by Siouxsie and the Banshees, which was my brother's favourite group when we were growing up. So, at the moment I'm listening to 'Through the Looking Glass' - takes me back!
Today's picture is a sign across I came across in Sri Lanka, which I just had to take a photo of. Am not sure how it's possible to speak English without grammar, but anyway.
Have had an ok week - although I may have to loook for another job as the school I've been working for for the past two years is not giving me full-time work. So much for loyalty, although I guess in the John Howard-era it's pretty naive of me to think that loyalty counts for anything. All that counts is the bottom line! I spoke to the union rep at work on Friday and she told me to write a statement about what has happened since I got back from my holiday, which she'll pass on to the union. As a casual employee I probably don't have much standing legally, but you never know. I don't really want to find another job, but I need to save some money and working only two or three days a week in Sydney doesn't really leave much money for saving.
Apart from work everything is fine. Went to see 'Mangal Pandey - the Rising' yesterday with Judith, her son Ben and her Mum. It wasn't quite as good as 'Lagaan' but still very enjoyable and a change from the average Bollywood flic. Learnt a lot about the role of the British East India Company (otherwise know by the very Orwellian name - the Company) played in India. I had no idea that most of the opium that the British were selling to China and which led to the Opium Wars came from India and that opium was their biggest cash crop. Not much has changed has it. Now we just sell weapons!
After the film we had a thali at Maya in Surry Hills (the saag paneer was fantastic) and then came back to Newtown for gelato. Sal was in fine form last night - that place is crazy.
Just hanging around at home today trying to organise a few things for my class tomorrow (I have two days this week - how generous of my school!) and am planning on calling Dan and Steve in San Francisco in an hour or so. Should think about lunch as well - stir-fried pumpkin with gai larn? Sounds pretty good...

<< Home