Saturday, September 24, 2005

Weekends

Like most people I love weekends. There's something special about waking up and knowing that you don't have to go into work and that if you really wanted to you could stay in bed all day. Not that I'm one for staying in bed all day, but sometimes I love the luxury of being able to stay in bed just that little bit longer instead of having to get up - especially in winter .

Have actually got quite a bit on this weekend. Am meeting up with the lovely Michael (who's in Sydney for a couple of days on his way to Argentina) and the equally lovely Will for lunch. Then tomorrow I've arranged to have a late breakfast with Seamus and am possibly going to see a film - probably 'Little Fish', although I also want to see the new Miyazaki Hayao film, 'Howl's Moving Castle' - with Judith in the afternoon (followed of course by gelato!) As always before I know it the weekend will be over, but I suppose that's life. Now if only we could have a three day weeekend...

My work situation is still a bit up in the air. I had 5 days this past week as Judith (who is my co-teacher) was away skiing, but at the moment I'm only down for 3 days this coming week. My boss is back on Monday, so it looks like I'm going to have to have a chat with her about what's happening. I spoke to someone from the union on Thursday and he told me that if nothing's resolved then they'll see what they can do on my behalf. I don't actually mind having a few days off, but financially it means I can't save very much. I've been thinking about going to Europe next year, so would like to save some more money. Insha'allah it'll all work out.

Yesterday was my Grandmother's birthday (and my cousin Lisa's), so happy birthday Grandma! I tried calling her, but couldn't get through. Did manage to speak to Philip though (hello Philip!) and discovered that on Sunday it's Denis' birthday, so bonne anniversaire Denis.

Last night after speaking to Philip I had this sudden craving for laksa. I was actually planning to head up to that King St institution - Rowda ya-Habibi - for a felafel roll, but in the end I had to satisfy my cravings and had a steaming bowl of laksa instead. Yum!

Nearly forgot. Today's picture is of the 55m high Ruvanvalisaya Stupa in Anuradhapura. According to the guidebook I was using in Sri Lanka it is believed to enshrine various remains of the Buddha and so is the most revered of the stupas in Anuradhapura. When I was there there was always a constant stream of pilgrims and along with the Sri Maha Bodhi - the sacred Bo tree - it was the most atmospheric of the sites in Anuradhapura. It's immense whiteness was amazing and I spent a couple of hours just walking around and taking in the immensity of the structure. This particular photo I took amongst the ruins of one of the various monasteries which are scattered throughout the ancient city.