Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Family Matters

Last Friday evening my Mum and Dad, along with their friends Marilyn, Angelo and Jan, arrived in Sydney on their way back to Perth from Canada and the US, so I had quite a busy weekend. They left for Perth on Sunday afternoon, so they didn't have very long in Sydney, but it was long enough for me to take them on a tour of some of my favourite spots in Sydney. They were actually away for 6 weeks and from the stories they told me it sounds like they had a great time.

After saying good-bye to them on Sunday I met up with Judith and Ben to see 'Howl's Moving Castle'. It wasn't quite in the same league as 'Spirited Away' and 'Princess Mononoke' but was still amazing. So imaginative and so rich. This week on SBS 'Kiki's Delivery Service' is being shown. I still haven't got round to watching 'Nausicaa of the Valley of the Winds' from last week - might have to watch it this evening. I was actually thinking of taking advantage of the $8 Tuesday deal, but there's nothing on at Hoyts that I desperately want to see, so a night at home watching a Miyazaki film sounds like a good compromise.

Picked up my ticket today, so it's all happening. I haven't booked a flight to Perth yet, but there's plenty of time to do that. Have to work out when I'm going to finish up at work. I don't want to tell my boss yet given what happened when I got back from Sri Lanka, but at some point I'll have to tell her.

Work is actually fine at the moment and I have two great classes, which of course makes it even easier. Being in the classroom requires a lot of energy, but my job isn't that demanding in many ways. I didn't have much prep for today, so yesterday I left early. Needed to do some shopping and also wanted to get my hair cut. Pretty mundane stuff, but I hate having to deal with the buses to and from Broadway shopping centre when everyone is trying to get home from work. Complete madness. Because I was home so early though I had time to watch a film about Oscar Wilde, which was funnily enough called 'Wilde', which I recorded on Sunday evening. No-one else was at home, so it was the perfect time to watch a film. I generally don't watch much TV, but sometimes there are some good things on.