Monday, August 28, 2006

Yorkshire Dales

I've just come back from a weekend in the Yorkshire Dales with my aunt and uncle and am now trying to get prepared for my trip to Berlin and Prague tomorrow.

Although the weather was so-so most of the rain was overnight, so we managed to see quite a bit. We ate lots and had some great adventures - visiting places with names like Crackpot (which turned out to be one house!) I've been to the Dales before, but had forgotten just how beautiful the countryside is there.

Yesterday my cousin Jeanette came down to meet us with her partner and 2 1/2 year-old son to see Thomas the Tank Engine, who was putting in a special guest apperance at one of the steam railways that operates in the area. I loved Thomas the Tank Engine as a child and Sam, my cousin's son, was very excited about seeing him - in fact it's all he could talk about. After riding one of the steam trains we drove to nearby Bolton Abbey and had lunch next to the river, near the old priory.

On Friday I spent the day in Newcastle as I had a few things I needed to buy and wanted to see the latest Almodovar film Volver. Volver was on in Belgium when I was there in early June, but I wanted to see it with English subtitles. A wonderful film, which stylistically reminded me a lot of Women on the Nerve of a Nervous Breakdown and other of Almodovar's early films. The performances were fantastic and I loved the story.

Berlin tomorrow. Have just been checking the dimensions of my hand-luggage to make sure it's not too big. Am now trying to decide whether or not I should take my laptop with me. The decisions I have to make!!!