Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Praha

No-one told me how stunningly beautiful Praha is and even if they had I don't think I would have believed them. Standing on the famous Karluv Most (Charles Bridge) this morning with the morning sun on the Hrad (Castle) I was just blow away. Have been here less than 24 hours and already I love the place.

A guy who was in one of my classes in Sydney last year - Tomas - met me at the station yesterday. It was great to see a familar face and wonderful to have someone to talk to after being pretty much by myself in Berlin. After dropping off my bag we did the tourist thing together, wandering around the old city. Tomas actually lives 150km from Praha, so although he knows the city a little a few times we managed to get completely lost!

The trip from Berlin was fine - the usual super-efficient service from Deutsche Bahn!!! Unfortunately there were a group of noisy German students sitting behind me and they never shut-up the whole way!

Yesterday morning before heading to the train station I went for an early morning walk around the gardens of the Schloss Charlottenburg, which was a 5-minute walk from where I was staying. Typically the weather was perfect yesterday - wish it had been like that the whole time I was in Berlin. Sunday was pretty miserable, but I managed to do quite a bit - including visiting the famous - and very crowded - Pergamonmuseum, which has a stunning and monumental reconstruction of an ancient Greek temple.

Time to explore Praha!