Living It Up
Was planning on going for a swim this morning, but it's very misty outside at the moment and I can't tell whether or not the mist is going to lift.Now that I have a car and am not walking as much I decided that I needed some other form of exercise, so on Tuesday I went with Amar to a hotel not far from where I live and paid an annual fee so that I can make use of the pool and other facilities there. I'm not really into the expat life, but the annual fee is so little and the pool so spectacularly located (right next to the river) that I decided why the hell not. I can take up to 4 guests as well, which means I can go swimming with Dhanushka and any visitors we have staying with us.
On Tuesday afternoon I had a written driving test as I'm applying for a Sri Lankan driving licence. The test was very easy, but it took me ages to find the place and I had trouble working out what was going on as the guy was only shouting out the instructions in Sinhala. Luckily English is one of the official languages here, so I could take the test in English. My Sinhala is getting better, but I'm not sure I'd do very well if I had to take the test in Sinhala!!! Apparently I'll have to sit a practical test as well, which makes me laugh. I've been driving for 17 years and given how badly most people here drive it seems ridiculous to make me sit a test. Sri Lankan bureaucracy!
The new term started last Saturday. I have the same younger learner classes as last term and my two adult classes seem fine. Student numbers are down, so I'm teaching less hours this term. I'll have to do some kind of project work instead, but am not complaining as a project will be much less tiring that being in the classroom. I also need to start applying for a course I'm going to start in September, which I'm sure will keep me busy over the next few weeks.
I've convinced Amar to apply for a job with the British Council in Delhi. She's been talking about living in India and there are 3 teaching positions vacant in Delhi, so it makes sense for her to apply. So while I've been at work she's been here at home trying to address the competencies that make up part of the application process - something I remember very well.
Hope the sun makes an appearance soon - was looking forward to a swim!!!

<< Home