Monday, March 02, 2009

Forbidden Love

Don't worry - I'm not in some sordid relationship with someone who turned out to be a relative! Am just addicted to the story of Christian and Olli on the German soap Verbotene Liebe! I came across it on YouTube (where else?!) and have slowly been trying to get through the 136 episodes that have so far been posted. Christian is gorgeous and, I don't know, there's something about the scene where they finally realise how much they both love each other (check out the link below). Given that I don't have any love in my life at the moment (boo hoo) I have to experience love vicariously through an on-screen romance. Sad, but true.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMd1dKqqWRI&feature=PlayList&p=CE1738656BCC0E20&index=44

I've been in a very strange mood of late, which is why I haven't posted anything for the past couple of weeks. Haven't really been up too much (apart from watching German soaps on YouTube!). Have been pretty flat out at work and trying to get my car fixed has also kept me occupied. The engine overheated on the way back from the Knuckles the other week and although it seems OK at the moment - I've taken it twice to a mechanic already - I'm a bit worried that it might happen again. Fingers crossed it'll be OK.

This evening Maggie and I watched Slumdog Millionaire on DVD - the film that everyone is talking about. I'm not sure if Maggie enjoyed it, but I liked it. It's not the best film I've ever seen, but the idea of fate is something that I've been thinking about a lot lately and the idea that it was Jamal's fate to win, is not completely implausible. I wasn't so convinced by the use of English - how did a boy from the slums learn to speak perfect English? - but at the same time, like here in Sri Lanka, English is such an essential part of the mix in India that it didn't seem so unusual. Of course having a lot of the film in English would have also made it easier to sell - after all a lot of people can't stand watching films that are subtitled.

The photo I've posted is of the Mahaveli River at dawn, which I actually took a few weeks ago. I haven't been out walking since I got sick, but am going to try and get back into it. I suppose I should think about going to bed as it's after midnight already. I haven't been sleeping so well lately and last night I had very a strange dream about the house next door being on fire and trying to save it with my Mum and Dad. Very odd.