Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Shopping Khrap!

My last afternoon in Bangkok. Yesterday morning I was intending to visit the Grand Palace, but when I got there I decided that I couldn't be bothered and instead jumped on a river boat for a scenic journey down the Chao Phraya. I eventually ended up at Siam Square and spend a couple of hours wandering through some of the enormous shopping malls - bought a guide to Angkor Wat, a 4GB USB drive for all the photos I'm intending to take and some ear plugs! I had lunch in the food court of the MBK centre as there's a great vegetarian food stall, which I used to frequent on previous visits.
The whole shopping thing doesn't really do much for me and by the end of the morning I was feeling shopping mall-ed out, so I caught a boat back to where I'm staying - along the very smelly and dirty canal that runs along the back of Siam Square - for an afternoon nap. In the evening I walked back down to the river and wandered around Wat Pho again. The late afternoon light was amazing and I got some stunning photos.
This morning after breakfast I wandered up to the so called Golden Mount. The temple at the top is nothing special, but the views of Bangkok are amazing. Haven't done much else today as I didn't sleep so well last night and am feeling a bit tired.
Am definitely looking forward to moving on tomorrow. Have just checked the Emirates website. Mandy is in Sydney as I write this, so on her way. She arrives at 1am, so has booked a hotel near the airport - the Silver Gold Garden! We've made plans to meet up at the airport tomorrow morning. It's a pity that Mandy didn't have more time off, but it'll be great to have someone to explore Angkor with. By the end of the week we'll be ruined!!!
This evening I'm meeting Rebecca, which is probably a good thing as I'm getting tired of my own company! Better head out soon.