Monday, January 05, 2009

Still in Siem Reap

Am still here in Siem Reap as the mystery virus that Mandy and I both came down with laid me low for a couple of days. Am feeling much better today, but am still a bit tired, so am taking it easy again today as tomorrow I want to spend one more day getting ruined - so to speak!

I didn't get so much sleep last night as there was a wedding going on across the road from where I'm staying and there was loud music until late last night and again from 5.30 this morning. Asians seem to a real love affair with loudspeakers and seem to have no qualms about blasting the neighbourhood with music and chanting until all hours. Have nothing against Khmer traditional music, but it gets a bit much after 5 hours!

Mandy left on Friday afternoon and is now back in NZ. It's definitely not as much fun being here by myself, but I only have a couple of more weeks and am sure once I manage to make it out of Siem Reap I'll feel much better about travelling alone. Mandy's flight from here left late, so although she made it onto the flight to Auckland, her back didn't and she only just got it today. Luckily her menagerie of animals that she bought from the kids selling stuff around the ruins was in her hand luggage!

I still haven't quite decided where I'm actually going to head to from here. I want to go to a place called Kampot on the south coast, but can't decide whether to go via Battambang on the other side of the lake, or via another place that has some pre-Angkor ruins in the vicinity. Can't seem to make up my mind...