Sunday, March 08, 2009

Much Needed Rain

It's actually raining - the first real rain there's been in weeks. It's quite exciting to hear the sound of rain outside after so long. I read online this morning that there's a distinct possibility of rotating power cuts because of the lack of rain. A large proportion of the country's electricity is generated by hydro and because of the lack of rain dam levels are at an all time low, which means less and less power can be generated. What will I do in the evening if there's no electricity? How will I watch Forbidden Love?

I've actually finished watching all the episodes that have been posted so far, so am going through withdrawl symptoms at the moment! I don't know what I'd do without my laptop. I love living in Kandy, but there's not much to do in the evening and there's only so long I can sit chatting with Maggie! I mean we see each other all day at work!

Maggie has gone to Colombo this weekend, so it's just me at home. I have IELTS tomorrow, but it's only a small session, so I should be done by early afternoon. If it's not raining I think I'll go for a swim. I was going to go yesterday afternoon, but was sneezing in the morning and was worried that I was coming down with something. I feel OK though, so here's hoping I can make it until the end of term without catching something.

My big news is that I'm going to the Czech Republic in April. I was thinking about staying here in Sri Lanka, but a friend, Jiří, has invited me to come and visit him. I love Prague and am really excited about seeing some of the rest of the country. I'm flying into Vienna, so am thinking about spending a couple of days there as well as I've heard from a number of people that it's really beautiful. I wish the April break was just a little longer, but unfortunately I have to do placement testing at the beginning of the break.

Have got more bananas growing out the back. Lots of king coconuts at the moment as well - when I got home on Friday there were about 11 of them in the kitchen. Have become an expert with the machete - lopping the tops off to get to the juice inside. Maggie doesn't like them very much, but I think they're a great way to start the day and I've heard that they're very good for the health - apparently very high in potassium and other minerals. Have posted a view of the garden from the back door. It's wonderful having such a beautiful garden. Makes such a difference.

Am going to watch The Reader this evening. Maggie picked up a copy the other day and was raving about it. Maggie and I don't always see eye to eye when it comes to films, but The Reader has had some great reviews and of course Kate Winslet won best actress just the other week for her role in it.