Saturday, May 30, 2009

My Real Birthday

This time it's really my birthday. I haven't had such a great day though as I had an e-mail from my Dad this afternoon to let me know that my Mum is in hospital in South Africa. They've been on a 47-day cruise around the Indian Ocean, but some time last week my Mum started having difficulties breathing and when they docked in Richards Bay in South Africa the other day she was taken to hospital. Apparently she had fluid on one of her lungs, which is why she was having problems breathing, and although the fluid was drained, she's had to have more tests and it looks like they won't be able to fly home for a couple of weeks. She's also got deep-vein thrombosis, but am not sure if that's connected to the build up of fluid on her lung or not. My Dad is staying in a hotel near the hospital and said that the doctors and hospital staff been great. It's a real shame though, as they were really looking forward to the cruise. Hopefully she'll be better soon.

I didn't actually have much planned for today as I had to work, but I'm glad I didn't organise anything as I don't think I'd be in the mood for celebrating with my Mum in hospital. I bought a cake for everyone at work though, which is the custom here, and until I got home this afternoon and read the e-mail from my Dad I'd actually had an OK day. I have two kids classes on Saturday, which although tiring I really enjoy. The kids are so cute and we have a lot of fun. The photo is of my second class.

I had quite a late night one night as I was watching a Hindi film - Taare Zameen Par, starring Aamir Khan - so am feeling a little tired this evening. It's a little early to go to bed yet, but I definitely want to have an early night. Have a 5-hour class tomorrow.