Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Christmas 2009

It's been nearly a week now since I left Sri Lanka - although as always it seems like a lot longer. Christmas is over for another year - am now trying to work out now what I'm going to do for the New Year. It's my Dad's birthday on the 31st, but they've already got plans to spend the evening with some friends, so I'm not really sure what I'm going to do. Am not really a big fan of the New Year anyway...

My Mum is feeling much better and is looking a lot better than when I was here in October. Her hair is just starting to grow back, so she still wears a scarf when she goes out, but I don't think it'll take too long to grow back. When I was here before she had very little appetite, so it's good to see her eating well now. She has to see the oncologist again in January, so will know more about how she's doing then.

We had a fairly quiet Christmas. We had lunch with my cousin Gill and her family then in the evening went to visit some of Mum and Dad's friends. On Boxing Day we were invited to dinner at the Gandossis - family friends - so I've managed to catch up with lots of people. I actually find Christmas a strange time of year and in many ways I think I'm happier doing other things. Christmas last year of course I spent in Siem Reap with Mandy.

Have been to see a couple of films while I've been here, both of which I really enjoyed - Almodovar's Los Abrazoz Rotos (Broken Embraces) and Bright Star - the latest film by Jane Campion about the English poet John Keats. I love Almodovar's films - his sense of style, the characters and the references to other films - including the wonderful Mujeres al Borde de un Ataque de Nervios (Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown) which was made over 20 years ago now and was the first Almodovar film I saw. Bright Star was also wonderful, but in a very different, almost poetic, sensual way. Stunning cinematography and amazing performances. Going to the cinema is one of the things I miss the most in Kandy.

Am having a quiet day at home today. My Mum and Dad have gone shopping and although I did - briefly! - consider going with them, in the end I decided I'd rather stay at home as I'm not a big fan of shopping malls and they tend to spend ages at the shops when they go. Have got a few books I want to finish while I'm here, so have plenty to keep me entertained and out of mischief!