Tuesday, December 15, 2009

An Unexpected Visitor

Not much to report really. It's still raining here - in fact since I last posted the weather seems to have got worse. I feel like I can't remember the last time I saw the sun shining...

Last night I got a call from K.T. - a guy I know from Dhanushka's village - saying that he was coming to Kandy today, so after picking up my car, which was being repaired, I met him in the town and we drove out a place called Ambuluwawa, near Gampola (which is about 15km out of Kandy) to visit this very strange tower that's been constructed at the top of the mountain. The top was shrouded in mist when we got up there, so we couldn't see anything, but now that I know how to get there I can go back at some point as the views are supposed to be amazing.

On the way back to Kandy we visited some of K.T.'s relatives and ended up having lunch there. Visiting people here can be a little strange as it seems that no-one seems to know what to say and you often end up just sitting around. People are always very kind of course.

Cost me quite a bit to repair my car as there were some problems with the suspension and the steering - not surprising really given the state of the roads. It costs a lot less to get cars repaired here, but of course cars need to be repaired much more often.

Leaving for Perth next Tuesday. Have decided that I'm going to drive down to Colombo next Monday and leave my car at Ruth's place. I usually lend my car to Ewen, but when I saw him on Sunday he told me that because he's been sick he probably won't end up using it that much and it'll be easier for me if my car's in Colombo as I can pick it up the day after I get back in January. I want to do some shopping as well as I want to get some presents for my Mum and Dad and there aren't really any interesting shops here in Kandy.

Last week at work - am so looking forward to this break...