Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Back in the Big Smoke

Back in Sydney after my short sojourn in the Heart of the Nation with Kirsten, Jon and the young (officially 7-months old yesterday) Ms.Sofie. Some people - who will remain anonymous!!! - have suggested that Canberra is just one big pornography production centre or where people go to die (kind of like the Varanasi of Australia!). This is completely unfair. Canberra is where it's happening - the beating, pulsing heart of the nation! Jon Howard would be mortified if he read some of the comments that have been posted on this blog!
I had a great time down there. Didn't really get up to much as such just lots of quality time with Kirsten and Jon and lots of playtime with Ms.Sofie. She's now very vocal - high-pitched squeals are a favourite - and I reckon she's been spending too much time with Kiri - Kirsten & Jon's cat - as sometimes she sounds just like a cat. She's very cute though and growing fast. I didn't think that I was a baby person, but I was down on the floor with Ms.Sofie making funny noises and reading to her from her now substantial collection of books (Dr.Seuss is a favourite!).
Got back to Sydney last night - a remarkably quick and painless journey on the bus. Didn't even have to wait long for a train home, which is a minor miracle. Usually when I turn up to the station the train I want has just left and it's at least another 15 minutes until the next one!
Only 2 days teaching this week as on Friday we're being professionally developed. So my first day at work this week today and my last day tomorrow. I'll be here on Friday as well, but being professionally developed doesn't really count as work.
Talking of work I suppose I should look at what I have to do today. Something to do with cause & effect - very exciting!!!