Sunday, October 17, 2004

Kyoto

I'd forgotten how much I love Kyoto. Parts of it are just like any other Japanese city, but there's something different about Kyoto - the atmosphere is somehow different. It's so much more laid-back than Osaka and because it's surrounded by mountains it feels more spacious and closer to nature.
The first place we visited today was of course Kiyomizu-dera Temple. The location is fantastic and because it's on the side of the hill the views over Kyoto are amazing. I love the area around Kiyomizu-dera as well - all the narrow, cobbled streets lined with traditional houses and shops selling traditional Kyoto sweets and pickles. I'd forgotten how tasty Japanese pickles are. Takako and I spent ages wandering around, browsing in some of the shops. We didn't buy anything, but it was fun looking. For lunch we went to a soba (buckwheat noodles) restaurant and I had zaru-soba (cold buckwheat noodles) and vegetable tempura. Delicious. After lunch we went to Nishiki market then wandered through the main shopping area until we got to the Kamo-gawa river. From there we went to Heian-jingu shrine - the shrine, which Charlotte visited in 'Lost in Translation'. I could definitely live in Kyoto - Takako told me I have to buy a second house there. Unfortunately I don't have a first house yet...
Am hoping to go to visit my Aunt and Uncle at the temple tomorrow and I might stay there for a few days. Last time I saw them was in Oxford last year, so I'm really looking forward to seeing them again. I owe them so much - if my friend Kaori hadn't introduced me to them I think my time in Japan would have been completely different.
Ok - time for dinner. Whatever Takako is making smells wonderful.