Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Lip My Stockings

Haven't had too many 'Lip my stockings' moments here in San Francisco, although I have started saying restroom instead of toilet (Americans look at you strangely when you ask for the toilet) and asking for the check instead of the bill. Today I also discovered that an entree here in the US is a main course in Australia, which helps to explain why I was so confused the other day looking at the menu in this restaurant I went to with my friends and wondering why there were so many entrees and no main courses. It didn't even occur to me that an entree could be a main course because, of course, an entree is an entree. Go figure! I do like that scene in 'Lost in Traslation' though - has to be one of the classic film lines - up there with 'I didn't ask for the anal probe' in 'Passionfish'.
According to my fortune cookie - which according to 'my' (thankyou City of Sydney Library Services!) guidebook was invented here in San Francisco - A man is known by his ideals. Hang on to your ideals. I think this is the first fortune cookie I've ever had. I've heard of them of course, but thought didn't think they really existed. Dan, Steve, Guy and I decided to to check out a local Chinese restaurant tonight - I had the Buddha's Delight. Had no idea what to expect, but it was pretty good. Eating out here is expensive though, much more so than Australia. The problem is there's an 8.5% service tax added on to everything and the tip - somewhere between 15% and 20%. Tipping is fairly optional in Australia (although Philip may protest here) but here there's no choice - unless you're really unhappy with the service.
One more day left in sunny San Francisco. Today it must have been over 30 degrees. Guy and I are doing the tourist thing and going to Alcatraz tomorrow. I don't remember going when I came here with Philip and my parents, but my memory isn't exactly the best, so I could be wrong. No doubt it'll all come flooding back tomorrow when thr ferry docks at the island. Yesterday Guy and I walked across the Golden Gate Bridge and then a further 3kms into Sausalito, from where we caught a ferry back to the city. The Golden Gate Bridge has to be up there with the Sydney Harbour Bridge as one of the most impressive bridges in the world. According to the official website (gotta love the internet) the Golden Gate Bridge is 2.7km (including the approaches) and the deck is 67m above the water - those interested in more facts & figures check out:
All I know is that it was a long walk and we were very high. Got some good shots - hopefully when I get home I can work out how to post pictures.
After yesterday's exertion I decided that something less demanding was in order, so I decided to visit the Asian Art Museum. They have a fairly impressive collection and apart from going out for some lunch I spent most of the day there. Got an excellent picture of Ganesha, so my notebook now has a picture of Ganesha - the remover of obstacles - on the desktop.
The whole time I've been in San Francisco there's been a strike by hotel workers. Basically they're demanding better conditions - something that low-paid workers here really need. To me it's unbelievable that everyone doesn't have access to free medical care. Strange that the supposedly richest country in the world can't provide it people with universal health care. I'm sure Johnnie Howard's plan is to water down Medicare in Australia though. He was against Medicare when it was first introduced and if he gets control of the Senate, which is a possibility, there'll be nothing to stop him. Getting back to the strike though, in front off all the major hotels there are strikers making lots of noise and shouting lots of slogans - the best one is 'Don't check in, check out'. I recently joined the Independent Education Union in Australia as there's been some shit going down at work. The company I work for has some of the best conditions becasue of the large number of union members and I want to make sure we continue to have some of the best conditions.
Philip and Denis are back from their adventures in Syria. Apparently Philip was offered 150 camels in exchange for Denis! From Philip's stories Syria sounds like a fantastic place to visit. Has got me thinking about my next trip!

Please feel free to comment by the way (thankyou Philip). You can comment annonymously if you don't want to become a member. It's nice to know that people are actually reading my ramblings.