Monday, December 27, 2004

Tsunami

Have just been wacthing the evening news about the devastation caused by tsunami in Asia. Unbelievable how much damage can be caused in such a short period of time and how many people have been affected. I remember when I was living in Japan that whenever there was an earthquake there tsunami warnings were issued within minutes, but of course in this case there were no warnings and people didn't have a chance. Western Australia was affected as well - even as far south as where I am in Perth people noticed tidal surges and according to my Mum some people walking across the sandbar to Penguin Island, south of Perth, were stranded when the sea level suddenly rose.
I arrived in Perth on Friday evening after quite a busy day and have been staying with my parents at their new house in Mandurah, 60km south of Perth city. They moved earlier this year so this is the first time I've seen their new place. I was expecting it to be quite strange as the house they had been living in was the house I grew up in, but all their furniture is the same and actually it feels like they've always lived here. It's too far from Perth for my liking, but they seem happy and that's what's important.
It's been very, very hot since I got here - in the high 30s most days. On Christmas Day we had lunch with some family friends and then in the evening had dinner with my cousin and her family. My cousin moved out here from the UK this year, so it was quite strange to have Christmas with family here in Australia - the first time in 22 years! Ate way too much food, so yesterday I took it quite easy and today all I did was visit a friend of mine, Amar. I'm here until Sunday - have to start work again on Tuesday - and I have a few people to catch up with, but I don't want to do overdo it. Might go to the beach tomorrow morning for an early morning swim.
I hope everyone had a safe and happy Christmas and that 2005 brings much happiness.