Morning
Have just finished reading Michael Cunningham’s ‘The Hours’ (on which of course the film starring Meryl Streep, Julianne Moore and Nicole Kidman – with the (in?)famous nose – was based). I remember seeing the film a few years ago and spotted the book in the library last week. Amazingly the film is remarkably true to the book and reading it the characters and their emotions were so familiar.
It’s a beautiful summer morning – would be even more beautiful if there wasn’t renovations going on in the house across the street. The sound of electronic machinery is not exactly appropriate at 7.30am! I love lying in bed reading – looking out the doors to the balcony, which are always open in summer, at the sky, the tree in the garden of the house opposite. I was thinking about going to the beach for a swim this morning, but I might go later. I’m not working today, but want to go in to work briefly to speak to my co-teacher as we haven’t seen each other for weeks. She only works part-time and because I’ve been working part time for the last few weeks (and was in Perth one week) we never seem to be at work on the same days.
Last night I went to a preview concert of the Australian Chamber Orchestra with a friend. He got the invitation through work and asked if I’d like to join him. It’s been a long time since I heard live classical music. The acoustics at the Conservatorium were amazing and at times it seemed like the music wasn’t coming from the players. Beautiful building as well – originally the stables for Government House, the whole building was renovated 5 or so years ago. After the concert I dragged my friend across the city to a Korean restaurant near Chinatown, where we stuffed ourselves with pungent Korean food. It was a beautiful summer evening – perfect for a stroll along Macquarie St and through Hyde Park. There are some amazing old buildings in Sydney – often hidden amongst the modern skyscrapers, which dominate the cityscape.
Moreno left yesterday for New Zealand. It was quite tempting to go with him for a few days, but of course realistically didn’t make any sense. I would love to go to New Zealand at some point. I mean it’s so close to Sydney – only 3 hours by plane. Maybe that can be my next trip if I don’t decide to go to Europe this year. Am still trying to decide what I’d like to do this year. I’m very happy here in Sydney, but at the same time I’d love to go to Europe as well...what to do?
It’s a beautiful summer morning – would be even more beautiful if there wasn’t renovations going on in the house across the street. The sound of electronic machinery is not exactly appropriate at 7.30am! I love lying in bed reading – looking out the doors to the balcony, which are always open in summer, at the sky, the tree in the garden of the house opposite. I was thinking about going to the beach for a swim this morning, but I might go later. I’m not working today, but want to go in to work briefly to speak to my co-teacher as we haven’t seen each other for weeks. She only works part-time and because I’ve been working part time for the last few weeks (and was in Perth one week) we never seem to be at work on the same days.
Last night I went to a preview concert of the Australian Chamber Orchestra with a friend. He got the invitation through work and asked if I’d like to join him. It’s been a long time since I heard live classical music. The acoustics at the Conservatorium were amazing and at times it seemed like the music wasn’t coming from the players. Beautiful building as well – originally the stables for Government House, the whole building was renovated 5 or so years ago. After the concert I dragged my friend across the city to a Korean restaurant near Chinatown, where we stuffed ourselves with pungent Korean food. It was a beautiful summer evening – perfect for a stroll along Macquarie St and through Hyde Park. There are some amazing old buildings in Sydney – often hidden amongst the modern skyscrapers, which dominate the cityscape.
Moreno left yesterday for New Zealand. It was quite tempting to go with him for a few days, but of course realistically didn’t make any sense. I would love to go to New Zealand at some point. I mean it’s so close to Sydney – only 3 hours by plane. Maybe that can be my next trip if I don’t decide to go to Europe this year. Am still trying to decide what I’d like to do this year. I’m very happy here in Sydney, but at the same time I’d love to go to Europe as well...what to do?

<< Home