Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Oh Gioia!

Off to Leichhardt this evening for pizza with Moreno at our favourite pizzeria. This evening is Moreno's last evening in Sydney and going to Gioia has become a tradition for us when Moreno leaves. Moreno has been having a power nap as I write this, but I've just told him to wake up as he takes ages to get ready and we're supposed to be getting a train just after 6.

Off to Victoria tomorrow afternoon. Was having a look at the forecast before I started writing this. Looks like it's going to be quite cold (16/17 during the day) so I'll have to take my winter clothes. It only gets as low as 16 in Sydney in July/August (and then only occasionally) so it's going to be a bit of a shock to the system. Still as long as it's sunny.

Three interesting developments (well two really, one is a anticipated development). Firstly I finally decided on a destination for my holiday in August, after about a month of indecision. Originally I'd thought about taking 2 1/2 months off and going to Ladakh in northern India, but then when I thought about it a bit more I decided that after my illness last year I need to be a little careful, so instead I've decided to go to Sri Lanka for a month. Was also thinking about going to Cambodia or South-West China as well, but after speaking to Judith and hearing how beautiful Sri Lanka is and reading about the delicious south-Asian food in the guidebook I borrowed from the library I decided that Sri Lanka was the place to visit. I know parts of the country were severely damaged by the tsunami last year, but the places I'm interested in going to - the hill areas around Kandy and the ancient cities were untouched. I've already booked my ticked as Singapore Airlines had a special fare available that after checking with a few travel agents turned out to be the cheapest and most convenient fare. Am very excited.

The second development is Qurban is off to Pakistan on Friday and that his wife, Munazza, will be coming with him when he comes back. Again all very exciting. Unfortunately I won't be able to see Qurban off on Friday as I'll be in Victoria, but I'm looking forward to meeting Munazza in a few weeks time.

The third bit of news is that Ms.Suzanne is still awaiting the arrival of child no1. Apparently there was some pressure for her to have the baby by last weekend, but that didn't happen. These babies seem to have a mind of their own. Hopefully there'll be some good news from Marrickville in the not too distant future.

On the weekend I went to see 'Downfall', a German film about the final months of the Third Reich. I'd read a lot about it and despite the disturbing nature of the film was very impressed by it. Hard to believe that human being can turn into such monsters and that so many people end up being seduced by people like Hitler, Pol Pot, Stalin and Mao and more recently by politicians like George W. Bush, John Howard and Tony Blair. Recommended viewing, if only to remind us of what can happen.

Finally I have some birthday wishes for a certain friend in Oxford. Yes - today is Sophie's birthday, so Happy Birthday Sophie. Hope you have a wonderful day.

Next post when I get back from Victoria.