The Return
Looking at my lap-top on the kitchen table in front of me it's hard to believe that it's been the source of so much stress over the past couple of weeks.
Just over one and a half weeks ago I came home one evening, after a very long day at work, to discover that my lap-top was gone! The previous evening Dhanushka had forgotten his keys, so I'd called him to arrange somewhere safe to hide them. Unbeknownst to us a friend that Dhanushka was with when I called him overheard the conversation and the next day he and his friends decided to come and take my lap-top! As soon as we realised that the lap-top was missing we went straight to the police and by the next day they'd arrested 5 people - including the above-mentioned friend and another guy that Dhanushka goes to college with. The police had also recovered my lap-top, but it's taken a very stressful week to get it back.
The next hearing was set for September 24 and according to Sri Lankan law retrieved goods have to be impounded until the hearing takes place. Obviously I didn't want to wait until September, so I ended up having to get a lawyer. He spoke to the magistrate last week and managed to get the case brought forward, so today I spent over 4 hours at the court complex waiting for the case to be heard. The five accused didn't show, but the magistrate agreed to release my lap-top on a bond, with the proviso that I don't sell it, which obviously I'm not going to do! The whole process reminded me of Kafka's 'The Trial'. Sri Lankans seem to thrive on bureaucracy and there always seems to be something that hasn't been done right and no-one seems to actually know what's going to happen. All very frustrating and time-consuming!
Anyway, I have my computer back - just minus all my photos and documents, which the bastards deleted, and with the addition of a load of numbers in blue pen on the lid - courtesy of the police! A memento of sorts!
According to my lawyer the 5 accused want to settle, but there's no way I'm going to settle. They've been spreading rumours about Dhanushka and have shown no remorse, so why should I settle? When they were in the house they also had chilli powder at the ready to throw in our faces if we'd come home! And they want to settle. I don't think so!
On top of all of this a few days after my lap-top was taken driving home from work a hulking great jeep crashed into me. Luckily the car is still driveable, but it was the last think I needed. The owner of the jeep is going to pay for the repairs, but I have no idea how long it will actually take.
All-in-all it's been a pretty bad two weeks. Work has been stressful - the only good news is that Dhanushka got his UK visa. He's in Colombo at the moment and picked up his passport today. I'm really happy that he got the visa as it would have been a real bugger if he'd only got one visa. We're both really looking forward to a break. Roll on the end of June, I say!!!
Just over one and a half weeks ago I came home one evening, after a very long day at work, to discover that my lap-top was gone! The previous evening Dhanushka had forgotten his keys, so I'd called him to arrange somewhere safe to hide them. Unbeknownst to us a friend that Dhanushka was with when I called him overheard the conversation and the next day he and his friends decided to come and take my lap-top! As soon as we realised that the lap-top was missing we went straight to the police and by the next day they'd arrested 5 people - including the above-mentioned friend and another guy that Dhanushka goes to college with. The police had also recovered my lap-top, but it's taken a very stressful week to get it back.
The next hearing was set for September 24 and according to Sri Lankan law retrieved goods have to be impounded until the hearing takes place. Obviously I didn't want to wait until September, so I ended up having to get a lawyer. He spoke to the magistrate last week and managed to get the case brought forward, so today I spent over 4 hours at the court complex waiting for the case to be heard. The five accused didn't show, but the magistrate agreed to release my lap-top on a bond, with the proviso that I don't sell it, which obviously I'm not going to do! The whole process reminded me of Kafka's 'The Trial'. Sri Lankans seem to thrive on bureaucracy and there always seems to be something that hasn't been done right and no-one seems to actually know what's going to happen. All very frustrating and time-consuming!
Anyway, I have my computer back - just minus all my photos and documents, which the bastards deleted, and with the addition of a load of numbers in blue pen on the lid - courtesy of the police! A memento of sorts!
According to my lawyer the 5 accused want to settle, but there's no way I'm going to settle. They've been spreading rumours about Dhanushka and have shown no remorse, so why should I settle? When they were in the house they also had chilli powder at the ready to throw in our faces if we'd come home! And they want to settle. I don't think so!
On top of all of this a few days after my lap-top was taken driving home from work a hulking great jeep crashed into me. Luckily the car is still driveable, but it was the last think I needed. The owner of the jeep is going to pay for the repairs, but I have no idea how long it will actually take.
All-in-all it's been a pretty bad two weeks. Work has been stressful - the only good news is that Dhanushka got his UK visa. He's in Colombo at the moment and picked up his passport today. I'm really happy that he got the visa as it would have been a real bugger if he'd only got one visa. We're both really looking forward to a break. Roll on the end of June, I say!!!

<< Home