Back in Kandy
Back in Kandy and back at work already. It would have been great to have had a day off, but I was back at work Wednesday morning and because it's nearly the end of term it's been a pretty busy week so far with end-of-term reports to write.
The end of the south-west monsoon has brought strong winds and heavy rain, which has made life quite unpleasant. Apparently the weather has been like this since I left - not really swimming weather!!!
As expected I couldn't check my luggage straight through to Colombo from Newcastle, so I had to pick up my bag when I arrived at Heathrow. Last time I flew from Heathrow back to Sri Lanka there was a massive queue at the check-in counters, but this time the flight wasn't that full, so I didn't have to wait at all. Didn't manage to get my usual window seat, but as it was a night flight it didn't really matter. I managed to get a little sleep, but by the time I got back to Kandy on Tuesday evening I was exhausted. A driver was at the airport to meet me and for a while it looked like we were making good time. There was an accident on the Colombo-Kandy road though and we ended up being stuck for nearly an hour, which meant the journey actually took longer than I'd anticipated. It's only around 100km from the airport to Kandy, but because of heavy traffic and the road conditions on a good day it takes at least 3 hours.
Am not in such a rush this morning as I don't have class until this afternoon and because Dhanushka wasn't home last night I don't have to leave so early. Yesterday there was a meeting after the afternoon classes finished, so I was at work from 7.30 until 5.30 - way too long!!! Am looking forward to the end of next week as we have 10 days off. Will give me some time to start working on my next assignment.
The end of the south-west monsoon has brought strong winds and heavy rain, which has made life quite unpleasant. Apparently the weather has been like this since I left - not really swimming weather!!!
As expected I couldn't check my luggage straight through to Colombo from Newcastle, so I had to pick up my bag when I arrived at Heathrow. Last time I flew from Heathrow back to Sri Lanka there was a massive queue at the check-in counters, but this time the flight wasn't that full, so I didn't have to wait at all. Didn't manage to get my usual window seat, but as it was a night flight it didn't really matter. I managed to get a little sleep, but by the time I got back to Kandy on Tuesday evening I was exhausted. A driver was at the airport to meet me and for a while it looked like we were making good time. There was an accident on the Colombo-Kandy road though and we ended up being stuck for nearly an hour, which meant the journey actually took longer than I'd anticipated. It's only around 100km from the airport to Kandy, but because of heavy traffic and the road conditions on a good day it takes at least 3 hours.
Am not in such a rush this morning as I don't have class until this afternoon and because Dhanushka wasn't home last night I don't have to leave so early. Yesterday there was a meeting after the afternoon classes finished, so I was at work from 7.30 until 5.30 - way too long!!! Am looking forward to the end of next week as we have 10 days off. Will give me some time to start working on my next assignment.

<< Home