Thursday, August 16, 2007

A Social Event

It's not very often that there's a social event here in Kandy, so when a friend at work told me about an Indian dance performance that was being held this evening I jumped at the opportunity - particularly after the difficult afternoon I had.

I finished teaching at 2.30, but ended up spending 2 1/2 hours trying to sort out flights to London for this course I'm doing. The problem is I've been dealing with someone in the Colombo office, who has been dealing with some travel agent. I don't know how many e-mails I've written and how many times I've called - have probably spent more time in front of the stupid computer than preparing for my classes. I just wish someone had told me 4 weeks ago that I could have booked the ticket myself and been reimbursed - would have been much cheaper and much less hassle. The travel agent seemingly couldn't get the Dubai to London sector confirmed, so after seeing a fare on the Internet that was the same price as the fare the travel agent has given me I got onto Emirates and managed to get them to confirm my booking. It was so much easier dealing directly with the airline! Hopefully everything has been sorted out now.

It's actually been quite a dramatic few days. On Sunday when I called Dhanushka just before I went back into class he was in hysterics - complaining of head pain and in tears. I still had 1 1/2 hours left to teach, so I told Dhanushka that I'd be back as soon as my class was over. When I got home there was no sign of him. I tried calling him on his mobile, but it was switched off, so for about 3 hours I had no idea where he was and what had happened to him, which was very worrying. On top of all this I'd received a phone call from Dhanushka's Dad to let me know that Dhanushka had his Mum so worried that she'd decided to come to Kandy. Luckily Dhanushka turned up just before I left to pick up his Mum - I have no idea what I would have said if he hadn't turned up. I can't say for sure, but I'm pretty certain that it was the valium - it was like he was deranged and I can't see what else could have caused him to suddenly become like that. He's much better now though and although it was quite stressful for all of us his Mum quite enjoyed her break. On Monday afternoon we took her and the friend who came with her to the hotel where we go swimming and while I had a swim they had some tea.

The Perahera starts this Sunday, which means that Kandy is going to be pretty manic for a couple of weeks as there's a parade every evening for 10 nights leading up to the full moon. I'm really looking forward to it, but I have a feeling most of the other teachers are going to try and be out of Kandy on the final days, which is a shame because the perahera is such an important part of what Kandy is. Various members of Dhanushka's family are planning on coming, so I'm thinking of putting up a hotel sign!!!

Man, I'm exhausted. Am not used to being out and about on a school night!!!