Saturday, September 15, 2007

DELTA Disappointment

Got my results today. I got a pass for the written part, but because my lesson went badly wrong I got a fail for the observed lesson. Obviously not the result I was hoping for, but not the end of the world - not that I know of!

On paper my lesson looked fine, but I hadn't anticipated how little the students would know about the area of grammar I was covering(defining and non-defining relative clauses, for those of you who are interested!) so I ended up spending too much of the lesson looking at the form and didn't get any practice in. My course tutor told me in the feedback session I had with her this afternoon that she really didn't want to give me a fail, but that because the lesson hadn't met the criteria that she didn't have any choice. Obviously I was really disappointed when I got the results this morning, but am ok now. I can be observed teaching another lesson based on the same area of grammar in January, so all is not lost.

It was quite strange to say goodbye to everyone this afternoon. It's been a really intense couple of weeks and I've been very lucky to have been studying with such a supportive group of people. Many of us will be in the same online study group, but it's not quite the same as being able to communicate face-to-face.

Have just finished packing - ready for my journey north tomorrow. I was going to go for a wander after I finished this afternoon, but I got a text from Erica saying that she wasn't feeling very well, so I came back and together we cooked some Sri Lankan food. No way near as good as what Dhanushka would have come up with, but not bad. I wish I could hang out here with Erica for a couple of days, but I have to be back at work on Wednesday.


Yesterday evening I had dinner with Tash and Jeremy, who are both looking very well. Before meeting them I decided to walk along the Thames from the London Eye to London Bridge. The sky was quite dark and I managed to get some great photos of St.Paul's - the contrast on the sun on the dome with the dark sky as a backdrop was stunning.