Thursday, June 05, 2008

Done & Dusted

I actually can't still quite believe that it's all over. For the past 9 months all I've been able to think about was the DELTA and now it's history. It's a great feeling to know I've finished it, but at the same time in the back of my mind I feel like there's something I should be doing.

The exam was fine. I managed to answer all the tasks and despite feeling like I was rambling towards the end, I think I did OK. It would have been great to celebrate with the two other teachers in Colombo taking the exam with me, but I had to catch a train back up to Kandy as I was teaching today, so all I had time for was a quick bite to eat before heading to the train station. I was a bit worried about catching the train as a bomb went off yesterday morning by the railway tracks in Colombo's southern suburbs, but I feel much safer on the train than on the road in one of those crazy buses! What to do?

The weather in Colombo was terrible and I read on the Internet this morning that 400,000 people have been displaced because of flooding. Heading down to Colombo on Monday morning it felt like the train was travelling through the middle of a lake with water as far as the eye could see on either side. Luckily Kandy doesn't get affected by flooding and I'm very safe up here on the top of the ridge.

As well as getting the exam out of the way I also managed to get my application for a new Australian passport handed in and, which is even more exciting, managed to finally get the ownership papers for my car and my Sri Lankan driving licence. Next time I'm not going to bother dealing with these idiots in Kandy - will go straight to the relevant department in Colombo. Unfortunately it's the only way to get things done in Sri Lanka.

I stayed with Ruth, one of the British Council teachers in Colombo, which was great as her place is only a 10-minute walk from the British Council. I also managed to catch up with another a friend, Maggie, so although I had some revision to do, I did manage to have some semblance of a social life. Ruth is planning to come up to Kandy in a couple of weeks.

I borrowed a DVD this afternoon from the library at work - it's wonderful being able to watch a DVD without feeling guilty. Life post-DELTA is wonderful!!!

Have attached one of the pictures I took when I was on my way to Dhanushka's village the other week. Haven't really taken many pictures since then.