Ten More Days
Hard to believe, but in 10 more days the nightmare that has been the DELTA will finally be over. I still have quite a lot of work to do on my last assignment, but am confident I can get it done this week and still have time to do some revision for the exam on June 4. I was planning on doing some work this afternoon, but I wasn't feeling so well yesterday and despite feeling much better today, decided that I needed some time out to make sure I'm fully recovered. Borrowed a DVD when I was at work this morning, so am planning on having a relaxing evening.My Wesak break with Dhanushka's family was less stressful than I'd anticipated. It was hard emotionally as being back in the village with his family brought back lots of memories, but it was good to see his family again and I'm really happy that my relationship with them hasn't changed. We didn't do much, but that was just what I needed and anyway I was exhausted by the time I got there on Sunday evening - a 3 hour-drive after 5 hours in the classroom. On the way there I was lucky enough to see 5 wild elephants by the side of the road - including 2 babies. The main road skirts along the edge of the Minneriya Tank (most of which is within a national park) and it's quite common to see elephants in that area. They were very close to the road though and probably because the road is on a levee at that point they seemed completely unconcerned by the passing traffic.
I got back to Kandy on Tuesday afternoon and have just been working away on my assignment since then. Thursday the country director and the regional director were up in Kandy for meetings and as teachers' rep I was invited to have dinner with them and heads of departments. I've met the country director a couple of times and like her a lot, so it was a good evening. Between finishing teaching and dinner I decided to have a swim and I think that's was part of the reason I felt a bit under the weather yesterday. I was feeling a little sniffly on Thursday, so probably shouldn't have got in the water. I feel ok now though.
Am sitting in the balcony writing this - watching the sunset. Am not feeling particularly inspired in terms of cooking, so might just have some fruit this evening - bought some papaya on the way home - my favourite. Perfect with a squeeze of lime juice. On the way home this afternoon I had to drop off my rent - apparently the owners are not coming back until the beginning of September now, so I can stay in my house for a little longer. I really don't want to move - will really miss my views.
Counting the days...

<< Home