Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Election Fever

At home on a Wednesday afternoon - enjoying an extra long weekend! On Monday the government decided to declare a public holiday for today because of the presidential election held yesterday. The results haven't officially been declared yet, but incumbent - Mahinda Rajapaksha - seems to have been re-elected with a clear majority, although there have been allegations of vote-rigging and the blatant misuse of the state media.

According to reports on the BBC and Al-Jazeera, the military have surrounded the hotel in Colombo where the opposition candidate, Sarath Fonseka, is staying - an indication, perhaps, that the government fears that there might be a coup. Although things seem pretty quiet here in Kandy, a curfew has been declared in Nawalapitiya not far from Kandy because of clashes this morning and there's a distinct possibility that an island-wide curfew might be declared.

Have been back in Kandy just over a week and although work is fine, I'm finding it hard to focus as I have a lot of my mind. Could actually do with another holiday already!!!

Maggie ended up coming with us on our trip through the hill country and along the south coast. Initially she was only planning on coming as far as Ella, but she enjoyed our company so much that she decided she didn't feel like being back in Kandy on her own. It's a been a number of years since I've been to the south coast as it's a long drive from Kandy and I'd forgotten just how different it is to Kandy. Tangalle was amazing - we stayed in small bungalows right by the basically deserted beach - and I love Galle.

The last night we stayed at the Galle Face Hotel in Colombo as Maggie and I had training in Colombo the day Sakkib and Jiří left. The Galle Face was built in 1864 and is right on the sea front. Although the rooms are a bit old-fashioned the hotel has loads of character and it was definitely a great way to end the trip. It was really sad saying good bye to Sakkib, but hopefully we'll see each other again soon.

Life in Kandy is pretty much the same. The weather has been great, so have been to the pool a lot and actually my timetable this term means I can probably go to the pool more often as I only have one late finish during the week. Maggie is leaving in April, so we're planning on going away for the weekend at some point. I'd like to climb Sri Pada again, but I don't think Maggie's so interested, so will have to see if I can find someone else who'd like to join me.