Saturday, October 09, 2004

More Depressing Thoughts

I thought today that I would wake up and the nightmare would be over, but it looks like the Coalition has been re-elected in Australia and John Howard will remain prime minister. A very depressing thought to begin the day with here in San Francisco. According to the Sydney Morning Herald the Coalition received around 53% of the vote, so I suppose in the end it was still very close, but unfortunately not close enough. I'm not a big fan of the Labor leader, Mark Latham, but I was hopeful that this would be the end of John Howard. Depressing to think that Australia has another 3 years of his face on the television. As I said yesterday I don't understand what's going on in Australia and why people are willing to overlook the fact that John Howard has deceived the Australian people on so many occasions. I suppose it reflects the fact that Australia has become a much more selfish place with people only interested in themselves. I'll leave with some quotes from John Howard's victory speech (courtesy of the ABC website), which show just how out of touch he is with reality.
"This is a proud nation, a confident nation, a cohesive nation, a united nation, a nation that can achieve anything if it sets its mind to it."
"Australia [is] as a beacon of hope and tolerance all around the world."
A very sad day.