Wednesday, January 05, 2005

The Return

Part 1
I always seem to be returning to Sydney from somewhere at the moment – and here I am again high above the Australian landmass bound for Sydney. It’s just starting to get dark and behind the plane the horizon is this amazing bright red/orange. It’s strange to be flying into darkness as if heading into the unknown.

Left Perth at 3.20 this afternoon, but despite being on the plane for less than three hours it’s already 9.15 in the evening Sydney time. Apparently – according to the pilot that is – we should arrive in Sydney 30 minutes ahead of schedule because of strong tail-winds – 200km/h. I always thing it’s strange that the flight back from Perth to Sydney takes an hour less than flying to Perth from Sydney. Go figure as they say in the States.

Have been keeping myself occupied by reading a fascinating account by William Dalrymple of Christianity in the Middle East – ‘From the Holy Mountain: A Journey in the Shadow of Byzantium’. I read his book about Delhi – ‘City of Djinns’ a few weeks ago and really enjoyed the way he brings history to life and links it with the present. Have just been reading about Lebanon and the civil war there, which although I knew was going on, knew very little about. Like all wars I still fail to understand how people can turn each other like they did in Lebanon – how once good friends became enemies just because they followed a different religion.

Will be glad to get home tonight. I feel like it’s been a very long day – even though it hasn’t. A day to recover tomorrow then back to work on Tuesday. Have no idea what I’m teaching on Tuesday, but am sure I’ll be able to cope!

Part 2
First day back at work and all I can say at this point is thank God it’s over! Had a really busy day and in the end had to bring some work home with me, which is something I don’t like doing. I slept quite badly last night – all your fault Will after all that talk about sleeping problems last night – partly because of the heat and partly because of a particularly loud mosquito that insisted in whining in my ear for what seemed like the whole night. Consequently I wasn’t feeling particularly alert today and it’s only now that I’m starting to feel more with it. Insh’Allah I’ll get a better night’s sleep tonight – assuming I don’t end up staying up too late.

The good news is that I’m off to Perth again next week! While I was in Perth my Mum and I talked about me putting in a guest appearance at my Dad’s birthday party on the 16th, so we decided to do it. At first it was only going to be a weekend visit, but Perth is just that too far for a weekend visit, so today I had a chat with my boss and I’m now taking 2 days off work. Perfect really as now I’ll be able to go to the Sommerville with Michael on the Monday evening and not have to rush back to Perth. I feel like a real jet-setter at the moment.

Last night I had dinner with the lovely Will and the even lovelier Michael, who is visiting from Perth. Had some very delicious Thai food for dinner then retired to Will’s place for a drink and a chat. Probably shouldn’t have stayed out so late on a school night, but there you go.

Some news from Anina and Mario. The new family are doing well and despite some crying Anina said that Mia is doing very well and that they already have hundreds of photos taken with their new digital camera. Mario has also introduced Mia to cricket from a very young age – watching the Boxing Day test match at the age of three days has to be some kind of record.