Monday, May 09, 2005

Oh Miranda!

No sign of Miranda at Hanging Rock yesterday (thought of you Lian if you're reading this) but we did have a picnic and at one point Moreno thought I'd disappeared. It's that kind of place.

Had a great time in Victoria - just a shame I had to come home so soon. I'd love to visit Wilson's Prom - I guess that'll have to wait until next time.

The journey actually got off to a bad start. First of all the trains were running late, so it took me ages to get home from work, then the taxi was late as the driver ended up on the wrong side of Union St (where I live is a maze-like network of one-way streets) and then half-an-hour before the flight was supposed to leave we were told that the plane had mechanical problems! The flight ended up being cancelled, so we got to Melbourne 3 hours late, but I'd rather wait than fly on a place that's not mechanically sound. From Melbourne we had to drive 250km west to the Grampians, so it was after midnight by the time we finally got to our destination - a very long day!

The Grampians were beautiful. We did some great bushwalks and enjoyed sitting by the wood fires at the hostel in the evening. 2 of the nights we were there it was near-freezing at night - a shock after the balmy autumn days we've had here in Sydney.

From the Grampians we drove back to Melbourne via Castlemaine, Hepburn Spa and Hanging Rock with one night at Hepburn Spa. This time I actually got to take the waters, a very pleasant way to while away a couple of hours on a Saturday afternoon. The water wasn't as warm as the hot springs I've been too in Japan, but still wonderful and great after all the bushwalking we'd done in the Grampians.

Moreno stayed down in Melbourne, so it was just me on the flight back to Sydney last night. It's strange not to have him here any more, but it is nice to have my room to myself again.

OK - an early night is the go tonight. Am still recovering from getting back so late last night.