Sunday, October 30, 2005

Buzzing

Uh oh! I have a feeling that I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight. Ciccio, one of the two brothers who run Gelatomassi, brought me over a free cappuccino and I couldn't really say no, even though I know that coffee gives me a real buzz. The coffees at Gelatomassi are very strong as well... As always I stuck with my two favourite flavours - fresh fig and tiramisu. The rocher chocolate is damned good as well, but the tiramisu is superb and the fresh fig...what can I say?

It's been a very rainy day here in Sydney so I went to see two excellent shorter films (they weren't short films as such) with Judith and Ben this afternoon. The first film was a new Australian film called 'Jewboy', about a young Chasidic jew in Sydney trying to find his place in the world after his father's death. The second film was very disturbing documentary called 'Blowin' in the Wind' about the use of depleted uranium by the US military and Australia's role given that Australia allows the US military to conduct training exercises in various places around Australia. I knew about the use of depleted uranium in Iraq and the massive environmental and health costs, but I had no idea that depleted uranium was being used in Australia. Of course the government would prefer it that way - the less people who know what's going on the better.

Before writing this post I was reading about the government's manouvering to push its new, draconian anti-terrorism laws through the parliament. It's frightening how much power the government has now that is basically controls the Senate and frightening how its using that power to push through all these changes without any real debate. As far as I can see Australia is moving towards a kind of dictatorship. We keep up the facade of being a democracy by having elections every three years, but for the rest of the time the government just does what it wants now. We live in very frightening times!