Babysitting

Am at Anina and Mario’s place (who of course are now my neighbours) ‘babysitting’ Mia. I use inverted commas because when I say babysitting there’s not exactly much for me to do as Mia is already asleep.
Everything is going well here in Bellevue Hill. Last night Anna and John invited me upstairs for dinner, so it’s all very civilised. Am still enjoying the walk down to the ferry wharf at Double Bay every morning. I keep meaning to take my camera as the light is amazing at that time of the morning – 7am. Will have to try and remember to take it tomorrow morning.
Work is fine. Yesterday I had house stuff to do, so I had the day off, which meant I had done very little prep. I managed, however, to pull a few things out of my bag of tricks and had the students eating out of the palm of my hand. It’s a beautiful thing! Yesterday was the day we had to hand the keys back, so I was over at Union St all day dealing with the carpet cleaners and the guy who came to collect the washing machine that we’d been renting. The owner was very impressed with the condition of the house, so it was just a matter of him signing the bond release form and that was it. It was all over very quickly and although I was feeling a little sad on the weekend – probably because I was still actually living in the house – it already feels like that period of my life is over and I’m feeling very much at home over here on the Hill.
This afternoon when I got home I had a swim, which was very nice. Haven’t had time to go to the beach yet, but hopefully this weekend I’ll get to take advantage of my proximity to the beach. There has been talk about more trouble this weekend, but I can’t see anything happening up around Bondi (which is the closest major beach to where I’m living). Cronulla has a reputation for being very tribal, but Bondi…there are usually more visitors than locals!
Yesterday morning as I was waiting for the carpet cleaners to arrive I sat upstairs on the balcony reading Salman Rushdie’s new novel, ‘Shalimar the Clown’. I loved ‘The Moor’s Last Sigh’ and like what I’ve read so far of this one. A friend at work, Kimberley (who’s a writer when she’s not being a teacher and a mother!), loves Salman Rushdie and she lent me the book. Sure his work has flaws, but he’s so descriptive and I just love the characters. It was a wonderful way to spend a morning – sitting on the balcony reading a good book and looking up at the sky.
I can’t believe I’ll be leaving in 5 ½ weeks. It’s all happened so quickly and I’m not sure if I’m even ready to leave. I still have lots of things to sort out, but quite frankly my brain is not really functioning at the moment. Have been writing myself lots of lists so I remember to do things. Very sad!!!
I think I might watch some TV since it’s something I don’t get to do very often.
Everything is going well here in Bellevue Hill. Last night Anna and John invited me upstairs for dinner, so it’s all very civilised. Am still enjoying the walk down to the ferry wharf at Double Bay every morning. I keep meaning to take my camera as the light is amazing at that time of the morning – 7am. Will have to try and remember to take it tomorrow morning.
Work is fine. Yesterday I had house stuff to do, so I had the day off, which meant I had done very little prep. I managed, however, to pull a few things out of my bag of tricks and had the students eating out of the palm of my hand. It’s a beautiful thing! Yesterday was the day we had to hand the keys back, so I was over at Union St all day dealing with the carpet cleaners and the guy who came to collect the washing machine that we’d been renting. The owner was very impressed with the condition of the house, so it was just a matter of him signing the bond release form and that was it. It was all over very quickly and although I was feeling a little sad on the weekend – probably because I was still actually living in the house – it already feels like that period of my life is over and I’m feeling very much at home over here on the Hill.
This afternoon when I got home I had a swim, which was very nice. Haven’t had time to go to the beach yet, but hopefully this weekend I’ll get to take advantage of my proximity to the beach. There has been talk about more trouble this weekend, but I can’t see anything happening up around Bondi (which is the closest major beach to where I’m living). Cronulla has a reputation for being very tribal, but Bondi…there are usually more visitors than locals!
Yesterday morning as I was waiting for the carpet cleaners to arrive I sat upstairs on the balcony reading Salman Rushdie’s new novel, ‘Shalimar the Clown’. I loved ‘The Moor’s Last Sigh’ and like what I’ve read so far of this one. A friend at work, Kimberley (who’s a writer when she’s not being a teacher and a mother!), loves Salman Rushdie and she lent me the book. Sure his work has flaws, but he’s so descriptive and I just love the characters. It was a wonderful way to spend a morning – sitting on the balcony reading a good book and looking up at the sky.
I can’t believe I’ll be leaving in 5 ½ weeks. It’s all happened so quickly and I’m not sure if I’m even ready to leave. I still have lots of things to sort out, but quite frankly my brain is not really functioning at the moment. Have been writing myself lots of lists so I remember to do things. Very sad!!!
I think I might watch some TV since it’s something I don’t get to do very often.
ps the photo is of me and the lovely Kinga, who by now will be back in Poland

<< Home