Christmas Break
Well that’s Christmas over for another year. As Celia (Anna’s sister and someone I used to work with some years ago) said the other day, Christmas is like a wedding, weeks of preparation and then it’s over. I didn’t actually have anything planned on Christmas Day, but Anna and Jon kindly invited me to join them and their family for lunch. There were 20 guests, so it was quite a gathering, but it was better than sitting downstairs by myself eating tofu curry (what I’d been thinking about making). Later in the afternoon when more family arrived I decided to excuse myself and went out to Watson’s Bay for a swim – a perfect way to end the day.Apart from Saturday, which was hot and overcast, the weather has been perfect – not too hot, but hot enough to go swimming. Yesterday Judith invited me to join her, Kiavash, Ben, her Mum, and a friend of hers to have a picnic and watch the start of the Sydney to Hobart yacht race (a Boxing Day tradition) over in Mosman. Qurban and Munazza joined us as well, so I got a lift off them. Judith knew a ‘secret’ spot (although there were quite a few people there, it wasn’t as crowded as some of the more accessible harbour areas) which took us to a point near the starting area of the race. There were thousands of boats on the harbour and it was quite a sight when the starting gun went off and all the boats, accompanying the yachts, started to make their way towards the heads.
Today I’ve just been relaxing – enjoying my last day off before going back to work tomorrow. It’s going to be a very short week and of course next Monday is a holiday as well, so I think I’ll be able to survive three days at work. It has been very nice though not having to worry about work for four days. I’m thinking about going out to Watson’s Bay again this afternoon for a swim – could swim here in the pool, but I love floating on the harbour with the city visible in the distance. I was thinking of going to see a film, but I can see a film any time.
Saturday afternoon I was in Newtown, ostensibly to see a film, but also of course to indulge in my favourite pastime – gelato! I went to see the new George Clooney film Good Night and Good Luck, which I’d heard and read very good things about. It was beautifully filmed and although it was about a very specific era, what it was saying was completely relevant to the current situation the US and other countries, such as Australia, have found themselves in. McCarthy (and others of course) used the public’s fear of communism to legitimize his methods just as the current US administration is using the ‘War on Terror’ to legitimize the invasion of Iraq and the winding back of civil liberties. The parallels are frightening. Unfortunately the people who should see this film are not going to because the public just wants to be entertained and doesn’t want to be made to think or question. It was also very interesting the comments the film made about the media and the role it has. An excellent and very timely film.
OK – time to head to Watson’s Bay for a swim!

<< Home